Yet another.. Central Locking Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another.. Central Locking Issue

Working on my project car today and installing a keyless entry system I've found that my car is stuck in a perpetual Unlocked mode.

I bought the keyless system because all I had for the car is a valet key and it doesn't work in any of the doors.

When I lock the car by pressing the driver side lock pin down from the inside it immediately pushes the actuator back into unlocked position. Some thing happens when I press the key fob. Funny thing is the central locking system is only reacting to the unlock button. Pressing the lock button, it doesn't even make a sound.

If one of the actuators has to high a resistance, it will re-open the doors. Disconect them one at a time and try it.

The resistance may be in the actuator or the linkage itself.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Gotcha.. hopefully tomorrow weather will let up enough to let me mess with it some.

Comment

After 2 ours of dicking around with the actuators it turned out to be a bad central locking unit.

Replaced it with one from my parts car and everything works 100%. YAY!

Comment

Mine did the exact same thing but then everything completely stopped working. I'm going to have to replace all sorts of things I bet. I think the problem is within the drivers side door. I hate central locking problems.
          world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
            Mine did the exact same thing but then everything completely stopped working. I'm going to have to replace all sorts of things I bet. I think the problem is within the drivers side door. I hate central locking problems.
            I had a similar issue, and it was the pins in the loom going into the drivers door being corroded.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Sounds like that CL module was stuck in "wreck mode" in which a vehicle that was rolled over in an impact will unlock the doors and stay that way...which is why you must be careful when handling that module.

There is a fix, but I don't know it.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Sounds like that CL module was stuck in "wreck mode" in which a vehicle that was rolled over in an impact will unlock the doors and stay that way...which is why you must be careful when handling that module.

There is a fix, but I don't know it.
                If you pry the cover off of the central locking module there is some sort of mercury switch I think (it is the biggest component on the PCB not hard to spot) that causes the locks to release when the module is inverted. I desoldered it from the board and swapped it trying to get a module working once to no avail (turned out to be a simple broken solder).

I have heard from others that once the lock module has been inverted the switch closes permanently, but in my testing this didn't happen.

When I checked it with a meter it would make and break when you turn it upside down and back again so I'm not sure if maybe the module has an op. amp in line with that switch to hold the windows open or what.

Usually when a locking module stops working it's just a burnt out solder joint in it that causes it not to work, I have fixed two by just sliding the cover off and resoldering the broken solder joint.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Back when these cars were new, I broke one when I dropped it. The doors unlocked and would just pop up when locked. I had to buy a new Cl module, was a buttload of dough!

All I did was drop the thing about a foot, onto the floor of the car, with the key on.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Where is the CL module? I need to investigate mine as well.
                    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                    current:
                    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Just beneath the left front speaker, under a splash guard, screwed to the wall inside the well. Look for 2 little screws just beneath the speaker, they hold the bracket in.

Closing SOON!

Comment

So if the module is upside down, it can stop working all together?
                        world renown Harry Potter expert
                        sigpic

Comment

No, it unlocks the door if you try to lock them

Closing SOON!

Comment

Since the topic has been brought up, is it true that feature led to a theft problem in the early cars (wired to constant 12v) so they made it a switched 12v?
                            -Dave
                            2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Nope, they added that feature sometime in '86 IIRC

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X