Water + HT wires = stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water + HT wires = stall

I'm a bit lost here. I do have bavauto wires, which I replaced OEM stock wires last year due to issues with moisture and a stumbling car.

It is now at the point where if I take an orchid mister and spray the wires between the boots and the loom with enough water, the car will shut off. It runs perfectly when dry, if I spray the distributor it keeps running without a hiccup. The insides of the boots are dry.

If I grab a handful of damp wire, I don't get zapped. WHERE ARE THE JOULES HIDING!?!?!?!

I have a new OE spark coil on the way, as mine is out of spec as per the red bible. Bentley specs are .5Ω primary, 5kΩ secondary, mine measures 1Ω primary, 6.1kΩ secondary.
    Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 03-14-2011, 01:13 AM.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
    I'm a bit lost here. I do have bavauto wires, which I replaced OEM stock wires last year due to issues with moisture and a stumbling car.

It is now at the point where if I take an orchid mister and spray the wires between the boots and the loom with enough water, the car will shut off. It runs perfectly when dry, if I spray the distributor it keeps running without a hiccup. The insides of the boots are dry.

If I grab a handful of damp wire, I don't get zapped. WHERE ARE THE JOULES HIDING!?!?!?!

I have a new OE spark coil on the way, as mine is out of spec as per the red bible. Bentley specs are .5Ω primary, 5kΩ secondary, mine measures 1Ω primary, 6.1kΩ secondary.
    I can't comment on your car directly but getting new coils would be my next step as well. Make sure you use electrical contact grease in the boots of the coils.

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

New coil made no difference (also the secondary is 7Ω ohms), so I called bavauto, and they're replacing the wire set with an OE wire set. Good customer service, as usual.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

bavauto wires are widely known to be junk. a few have had luck with them, but many have not.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Do the mister trick at night, should be easy to see the problem then.
          -Dave
          2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
          X