no fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no fuel

Just swapped my fusebox due to some melting from a previous owner's shenanigans and the car won't start. I'm getting spark and the DME seems to be functioning but it won't start. I got a new (from bmw) fuel pump relay and that didn't solve my problem. I'm not getting power to fuse 11, best I can tell the DME isn't sending the ground signal to flip the relay and engage the pump. I have continuity from fuse 11 to the relay terminals and there's power there as well. I'm going to try manually jumping the relay terminals tonight to see if it starts. I have verified that the DME does have power and it will do the stomp test to flash that there are no codes (battery disconnected for ~2 months)

What would cause the fuel pump relay to not engage the pump? Best I can tell all the wiring looks in order. The car ran well before my fusebox shenanigans happened (the blower fan popped the board in the fusebox due to a 70A breaker replacing the stock 30A fuse. melted and everything.) so I'm thinking that the failure of the fusebox may have toasted another component that I'm not seeing. Any suggestions on where to start looking to restore the ground connection and get the relay to flip the way it should?

Sorry if this isn't clear, cliffs below:
    1. running car, turn on blower fan.
    2. car dies, K6 relay is blown to bits
    3. replace fusebox and patch bad wires
    4. test everything
    5. everything but fuel pump & relay seems to be working just fine
    6. ??
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

I tested the pump by jumping the pins on the relay and the pump kicks on no problems. The fuseable link seems to be OK as well.

edit: best I can tell there's no spark as well.
    Last edited by Cletonius; 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM.
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

No spark and no operation for the fuel pump suggests:

No timing data to the DME
      A power or ground problem to the DME
      A bad DME
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Got it started! Unplugged the CPS and measured resistance. Tested at 499ohms. I hit the key after I put it back together and it started right up.
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Working...
        X