Electric fans: 2 smaller or 1 bigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric fans: 2 smaller or 1 bigger?

The last autocross of last year a cone got wedged up behind my valence and broke my fan. It's been winter so I've been driving around fanless since then but it's starting to get warm again so it's time to fix it. I had a single 14" Spal before that worked ok, but I'm going to have a much hotter engine bay this year so I'm looking to upgrade.

My question is: what would cool better? A large single fan or 2 smaller fans? Say 12"ish for 2 or 16" for one. Would the stock aux. wires even be able to handle 2 fans?

Thaaaanks
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Subd for info. I was thinking about 2 pullers myself but still unsure.

BTW, 24v?

COTM

Comment

I would lean towards 1 larger fan, say 16" or so. 2 small ones, even 12", probably wont fit on your rad. You'd have to make one a pusher on the front and the other a puller on the back, then offset them so they cover more of the actual radiator surface area. I'm also going to guess that 2 smaller fans will pull more amps than 1 larger unit.

Comment

Yeah I just said 12, I'm sitting at work guessing and have no idea what size I would actually need, that was just to get the idea down. I need pushers too, I don't have room for a puller.

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
        BTW, 24v?
        That would get me less heat ;)
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

on my 2002 I am going to run two smaller 9" fans, because frankly, it's all I can fit. That being said, it has an oil cooler as well, not sure if that matters.
          [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
          Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

given 12.5mm H^2O resistance on the radiator/condenser core=

2x11" spal pusher fans pull 18.4 amps move 2160 cfm of air (costs $269.90 retail)
            1x16" spal pusher fan pulls 13 amps and move 1720 cfm of air (costs 134.95 retail)

full speed the single 16" pulls 70% of the current while moving 79% of the air and weighing just under 3lbs less. as long as your using the stock controls there isn't really any advantage to 2 fans. . . now if you were to have two totally independent control circuits there could be and advantage in absolute reliability, but it would be at the cost of space, weight, expense, and draw on the electrical system. (if I wanted 2 fans I'd do 2 16" fans for the same cost and gain more efficiency. :) )

BTW- I believe I measured and figured out that 2 12" fans wouldn't fit side by side hence the 11" eval. ;)

Comment

no mention of a shroud? Having one will increase your efficiency.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                no mention of a shroud? Having one will increase your efficiency.
                It would if you had room for it. I haven't needed any more cooling efficiency than the single 16" provides in my current climate though so I haven't really tried too hard to evaluate adding one. Plus between the oil cooler, plumbing and still having A/C I prefer the space afforded by mounting the 16" fan directly to the condenser.

Comment

You should have plenty of room for it. Look at Zionsville's and just replicate that.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                    given 12.5mm H^2O resistance on the radiator/condenser core=

2x11" spal pusher fans pull 18.4 amps move 2160 cfm of air (costs $269.90 retail)
                    1x16" spal pusher fan pulls 13 amps and move 1720 cfm of air (costs 134.95 retail)

full speed the single 16" pulls 70% of the current while moving 79% of the air and weighing just under 3lbs less. as long as your using the stock controls there isn't really any advantage to 2 fans. . . now if you were to have two totally independent control circuits there could be and advantage in absolute reliability, but it would be at the cost of space, weight, expense, and draw on the electrical system. (if I wanted 2 fans I'd do 2 16" fans for the same cost and gain more efficiency. :) )

BTW- I believe I measured and figured out that 2 12" fans wouldn't fit side by side hence the 11" eval. ;)
                    Looking at those numbers I don't think the extra 400cfm is really worth it. I think I'll go with the single 16 for now and upgrade to 2 smaller if I end up needing it.

Thanks for the educated answer
                    You should have plenty of room for it. Look at Zionsville's and just replicate that.
                    I don't think shrouds work very well for pusher fans
                    Byron
                    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK
                      I don't think shrouds work very well for pusher fans
                      Agreed

Comment

Agreed
                        +2, there isn't any advantage

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                          +2, there isn't any advantage
                          Well shrouds do technically increase efficiency when the fan is running but usually at the expense of airflow at speed.

Comment

They won't increase airflow in a pusher, in fact the zionsville unit decreases it because it blocks off any air passing over the radiator due to the movement of the car. A puller fan (when spaced back a small distance) would be different since it is able to pull air from across the entire cross section of the radiator, where as a pusher moves air across only the area is sits directly on.

Comment

Yes but a ducted pusher as I investigated for one of my builds is relatively efficient given the size of the duct intake is larger than the radiator to compensate for the efficiency loss of the air being forced through the pusher fan when off. The problem I encountered was to run an efficient duct-fan-shroud design for a 16" pusher fan with a radiator core the size of the e36 core I'm using you would need 8" or so of empty space in an area 3" larger than the e36 radiator core. Short of hacking off the front bumper, hood, valence it just won't happen in an e30 and doesn't need to b/c the single 16" pusher mounted to the condenser works fine provided you duct between the two cores with an non thermally conductive material to maximize air pressure into the radiator core at a dead stop.

Comment

Working...
                              X