Rattle/clunk from rear end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle/clunk from rear end...

I've noticed a rattled/clunking sound when going over bumps from the drivers side rear end. I recently took my springs out to put a spring pad back in the rear, so I checked the obvious shock mounts and made sure I connected the sway bar links. Both were fine. I removed the jack and all that stuff, tightened the spare... no help. How can you tell if a CV joint has gone bad?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

did you take the RSM off the shock before inspecting it? They can go bad without being able to tell while it's bolted on. Also check your muffler supports and heat sheilding. If you have bigger sway bars, check to see if they're hitting the e-brake cable or something

Comment

I shook the exhaust around and it was ok, today I will actually take the RSM out. It was hard to tell because I have a LUKAS rear bar and I had left the bar mount on the RSM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

You sure you sinched the spare down after you stuck it back in after the 1/4-mile runs?

If you don't really crank on those wingnuts they'll come loose.

Just food for thought, anyway.
        My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

I had it down tight, took it out to see if anything was underneath it, then put it back in even tighter.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Are you sure it isn't your power antenna housing clunking against the side of the car? Mine was making a loud noise, and I couldn't figure out what it was. It ended up being the power antenna hitting against the inside of the car.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
              Are you sure it isn't your power antenna housing clunking against the side of the car? Mine was making a loud noise, and I couldn't figure out what it was. It ended up being the power antenna hitting against the inside of the car.
              Hmm, EXCELLENT idea. I will check that!

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                Hmm, EXCELLENT idea. I will check that!
                It would happen to me every time that I'd back out of my driveway onto the street.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

My muffler fits kinda funny (tip is too close to the rear valance) so I somtimes hear the tip clunking on the body when going over bigger bumps...
                  James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

The car took a turn for the worse today. This problem is more serious then the suggestions posted so far.

So when I am on the gas, the noise seems to dissapear, but not completely. When I let off the gas, the car starts clanking, even if the road is smooth. I can feel a slight fast-paced vibration. And it sounds God-awful.... I am thinking it's either my diff, CV joints, or the wheel bearings. Possibly my subframe bushings which are shot?

RISING EDGE

Comment

So it's not just occuring over speed bumps. Is the sound related to your speed ? (i.e. does the clunking increase if you get on the gas). Center Support Bearing maybe ?

Comment

It's not from speed bumps, I know that. It may be related to speed. It could be the center support bearing, since it causes vibration. How hard is that to change?

RISING EDGE

Comment

bump, my car is sitting on jackstands, I need help.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Kind of related. How do you tell if the subframe bushings are bad? Visual inspection?

Thanks.
                            2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

CSB is kind of a pain, but at least it's a cheap part. Most difficult part is keeping your driveshaft locked while you loosen the bolts on the guibo.

You need to remove your exhaust from the cat back then remove the heatshield so that you can see your driveshaft. If it's your csb, then you need to remove the driveshaft and replace the center support bearing.

good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X