Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the rocker arms without removing the head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the rocker arms without removing the head.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this before. I'm going to attempt to slide the rocker shaft out through the front of the car. It looks like it will clear the radiator supports and I can drop the A/C condenser without removing any lines. Obviously the radiator and other things in the way will be removed but I think it is very possible. Anyone's thoughts or suggestions?

Its far easier to just pull the head. Dont be scared.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I pulled the head last time. I'm just trying to save myself the $180 for a gasket set and $60 for new head bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoove1
        I pulled the head last time. I'm just trying to save myself the $180 for a gasket set and $60 for new head bolts.
        Head gasket is $20, and Headbolts are $30

Where are you buying your parts?
        Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Why do you need new head bolts after you pull the head?

Andrew

Comment

because they stretch and cannot be retorqued.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Re: Changing the rocker arms without removing the head.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this before. I'm going to attempt to slide the rocker shaft out through the front of the car. It looks like it will clear the radiator supports and I can drop the A/C condenser without removing any lines. Obviously the radiator and other things in the way will be removed but I think it is very possible. Anyone's thoughts or suggestions?
              Nope. Not gonna happen. I tried.

The only thing in the way is really the distrubtor, which can be taken off easily and the condensor will be in the way as well.....but that's not the point, the rocker arm shaft will not want to come out. You use a dowel and a mallet to remove them, how can you get either between the firewall and the head.

Just take off the head. I might do so myself actually. The Haynes manual sucks. :( But my new Bentley spells it out much better :) .

But kid, don't try it w/o removing the head, you might get the shaft to nudge a bit, but it won't come out all the way. And your BMW deserves to be fixed right. You might as well put in a cam if your ever feel like putting one in, as the head is off anyway. And are those rockers stock, or have they been replaced? Some recommended if one went, the others aren't long behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

I bought the complete gasket set for $180 from Bullet Performance and the head bolts from them also.

I guess I'll just pull the head off. Are there plugs on the ends of the rocker shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

I bought the complete gasket set for $180 from Bullet Performance and the head bolts from them also.

I guess I'll just pull the head off. Are there plugs on the ends of the rocker shafts?
                  Yes, there are four rubber plugs at the end of the shafts, but I the head gasket sets I looked at included them.

Comment

Working...
                  X