Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bouncing idle, m10

Hey all,

I have a 1985 318i and the idle bounces over and over again from about 800 rpm to 1200 rpm. rrrRRRaa-rrrRRRaa-rrrRRRaa-rrrRRRaa

It's absolutely infuriating.

I tried swapping out the AFM and no luck. But I have no idea what the condition of the used AFM is.

Sounds like you need an new idle control valve.

Comment

^ and that is exactly why I don't fix mine. I have the same issue but only when I switch the A/C on, so I'm not really bothered to fix it seeing the price of a new ICV is through the roof.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Time to put a v8 in it I guess

Comment

You might try cleaning it first. Pull it out and spray it down with carb cleaner. Sometimes they are just dirty.

Comment

smoke test and report back

edit:... when all leaks are repaired.

Comment

Just FYI for everyone. I have already sorted out the vac leaks and already cleaned the ICV... come on now, give me a little more credit than that. ;)

As it turns out, this issue was solved by unplugging the idle speed relay and plugging it back in. I suppose there was enough corrosion to cause issues.

Idle is now steady but it is high. I am just about to set the ICV using a multimeter as outlined in the bentley manual.

Thanks all for the help :)

Comment

Alright so idle is now steady, but it is high. I set throttle body clearance to 0.0015" and adjusted the ICV to it's lowest speed, and it is still too high. Penny trick it?

Comment

The "penny trick" will confirm you have an ICV issue but it will only be effective in 1 situation (presumably at operating temp on an "avg" day) so at best its temporary and good for diagnosis. Try removing your ICV and put a wine cork in each connecting hose. If your engine only runs with a little throttle, then you know its your ICV...and if you do the penny thing dont let it get sucked in to your engine :-)
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                  X