Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racers + Drifters, how often do you replace your wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racers + Drifters, how often do you replace your wheel bearings?

How many track days/ drift events / miles do you get out of a set of wheel bearings before they get noisy?

I've replaced 1 set in 1 car the entire time I've tracked any E30s. Unless you run a really funny offset, you shouldn't have to replace the bearings.

Comment

I haven't been active much in the last year or so, but I've only replaced my rear bearings once (just normal E30 wear there).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I haven't replaced my wheel bearings at all. ><

Comment

Once I got the suspension and brakes sorted out on my car and began driving it more aggressively through fun zones (see also: freeway ramps). The passenger-front (190k) bearing started roaring under load, then the passenger-rear (193k) started roaring under load. I just replaced the rears this weekend.

I want to enjoy the twisties without having to make a habit of replacing wheel bearings too frequently. I assume that I just squeezed the last bit of life out of the two that have shat themselves in the last year but it made me curious to know how they hold up on cars that get flogged frequently.

Comment

200k is a long time for stock bearings. I wouldn't expect issues anytime soon. I'd talk to some of the spec racers and see what they're doing, but I can't remember much talk about common bearing failures (after the initial replacement, at least).
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

On my race car I would be surprised (and a bit concerned) if I didn't get at least five race seasons out of a set of bearings. By season I'm talking about 14-16 track or race weekends.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X