Won't start after exhaust scrape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start after exhaust scrape

So I was pulling out of my driveway after installing some H&R sports and the exhaust started scraping on the driveway (we have a pretty big bump in the driveway) pretty bad so I started pulling forward. Well, I accidentally let the clutch out and the car died. I tried to restart it but nothing, no click, no crank, just absolutely nothing. I thought maybe the exhaust was pinching something but I jacked it up and couldn't see anything. Am I missing something? I would love to get it started but have absolutely nothing (I have juice because the glove box light will turn on). Help!

I don't see the scrape as having anything to do with this. Time to start trouble shooting, Start by checking battery voltage with a DMM to see if the battery is charged (should be greater than 12.4v).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Hey Jim, that is what sucks too, is that my trunk won't open because the button/key hole won't pop out. I didn't think the scrape would do anything either so that confused me. I need to try to find a way to get into the trunk.

Comment

scrapping exhaust wont do anything. i do that daily.
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop?? ;-)
        Originally posted by JinormusJ
        But of course
        E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
          scrapping exhaust wont do anything. i do that daily.
          I know, right;)! That's why I'm baffled, like this other issue happened at the same time. Of course, the car was still running and it wasn't until I accidentally took my foot off the clutch that it died and didn't start.

Comment

Okay, so this morning I went out there and checked the glove box light. It came on, so I thought I'd try to start the car. I put the key in and the parking brake, etc. lights came on (they hadn't before). I went to start the car and nothing again, no cranking, no sounds, nothing. Even the glove box light was out now. I'm definitely thinking it's the battery, if I could just get into the trunk.

Comment

I think your cables came off your battery, if they are slightly touching your lights can work, but when you go to start it, it doesn't have enough!

I scrape my exhaust whenever I drive :D

90 325is alpine2 m50b25 becoming a dorifto car.

Comment

i've had my battery cables come "loose" a few times.
                often at gas stations.
                they LOOK connected, but just pull them off and retighten them down and you should be good to go.

Comment

Brake a window... why can't you use the key?
                  My Multi car part out. Need a part? Pm me...
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193051

Need 24v swap parts? How about a LSD? Plastic Bumpers? Or anything else click here...
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215044

Have you done business with me? If so leave me feedback here...
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=188307

Comment

Yeah, I want to get into the trunk but I can't get it to open. It's been stuck shut before this. My key will go into the trunk button and push in and turn but the cylinder button thingy won't "pop" back out. I don't know if that's the central locking acting up or what. Just trying to find a way to get into the trunk.

Comment

check for voltage at the front bus (under that plastic thing with the + on it). if there is no voltage, connect a battery via jumper cables. easy peasy.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                        check for voltage at the front bus (under that plastic thing with the + on it). if there is no voltage, connect a battery via jumper cables. easy peasy.
                        You read my mind and that is exactly what I did. It started up just fine and I was at least able to move it out of the driveway so now on to that stinking trunk. I'm going to try pulling the central locking mechanism out (I'm guessing my car has it).

Comment

I've had the battery cable problem before to. I was going down a old bumpy road and the car just shut off. First thing i check was the battery and the ground was almost off.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

That's happened to me while offroading in the past. Good times.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Okay finally (with the help of my 11 year old neighbor!) got the trunk open and the battery cable was indeed loose. Anyway, got it put back on and took the car for a drive and it felt good! I think having new front struts/springs tightened up the steering and obviously the handling. Thanks for all the help. Now on to the rear shocks!

Comment

Working...
                              X