clutch pedal height ** NOW WITH PICTURE**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch pedal height ** NOW WITH PICTURE**

I recently replaced my clutch, master and slave cylinder, and when I hooked everything up, my clutch pedal now sits about 3 inches higher than my brake pedal/where it sat before. I did bleed the system and there is resistance when pressing the clutch, although it doesnt appear to make shifting any easier with the pedal pressed down (car doesnt start yet; redoing some vacuum lines, intake manifold/valve cover painting, other problems I'm fixing).

I did not change anything with the pedal mount, only the cylinders, I did add a stainless line from the hardline to the slave cylinder.

Could this be a problem with an incorrect master and or/slave? [Maybe slave cylinder since the effort required to shift gears seems about the same clutch in or out.] I bought the master off craigslist, it looked identical to my old one, and I bought the slave from BMA so I'm assuming it is the correct one.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jrobie79; 09-27-2011, 04:54 PM.
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

The rest position of the pedal can be adjusted via the eccentric bolt at the pedal arm pivot point.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

was that one of the bolts required to take out to replace the master cylinder? If so then maybe that would work, but I only took out the master cylinder and replaced it, nothing else.
      1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

3 inches?!
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

yeah it sits pretty damn high, it does go all the way to the floor, im wondering if the master is the wrong part and made for another bmw
          1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

What's the part number?
            Suspension tips here...
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

pictures

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

so i took the master cylinder out b/c it didnt look the same as the one in my sisters. the one on her car does not have that brass part as seen in the pic:

just looking for confirmation that this is in fact the wrong part (although the numbers on the side are the same: S5459A)
                1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Looks like the right master cylinder to me. Unless I put the the wrong one in my car
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Brass part? I don't see anything brass in that picture.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                      so i took the master cylinder out b/c it didnt look the same as the one in my sisters. the one on her car does not have that brass part as seen in the pic:

just looking for confirmation that this is in fact the wrong part (although the numbers on the side are the same: S5459A)
                      That one is too long because of that "brass" (it's zinc coated steel) bit.

See how my old one lacks that part? That's not an E30 MC.

Comment

thanks guys, looked at my sisters and noticed the same thing, that steel part at the end wasnt there so I ordered a new one from BMA....wish i saved the email from the guy on craigslist who sold it to me
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
                        X