New vibrations at higher rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helltime View Post
    I am trying to take the drive shaft off the parts car but running into all kinds of issues, any suggestions? I tryed following the bentley manual i have but i can't get the front half off the trans. The CSB is off, guibo bolts are off, the center nut thing between the 2 halfs of the DS is almost separated. i just can't seem to pull it off the studs coming out of the trans, i have gotten close a couple times though.
    there is a collar nut on the driveshaft behind the csb that will allow you to collapse the shaft, shorten the length and pull it off

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
      there is a collar nut on the driveshaft behind the csb that will allow you to collapse the shaft, shorten the length and pull it off
      I have that nut completely loose, shaft won't collapse in....guess its probably going to take some force then.
      1990 325i 5spd
      09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Comment

I have that nut completely loose, shaft won't collapse in....guess its probably going to take some force then.
        I remember that I had trouble lengthening the drive shaft when I put my re-man one in, after I unscrewed the nut completely the thing did not budge, turns out that there is a plastic collar inside the nut that was really tight, I used a screw driver to gently pry it so I could lengthen the drive shaft...

Comment

i am still having no luck...and getting a little pissed.
          1990 325i 5spd

Comment

i am still having no luck...and getting a little pissed.
            take some pics, what exact stage are you at, have you loosened up the guibo already?

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
              take some pics, what exact stage are you at, have you loosened up the guibo already?
              I will try to get pics tonight, the 3 guibo bolts are off, the collar nut is off, the csb bolts are off.
              1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Does the ds have the harmonic balancer like the one you took pics of? If so you need to rotate it about half a turn to clear it off the fins on the trans.

Comment

Originally posted by KVF View Post
                  Does the ds have the harmonic balancer like the one you took pics of? If so you need to rotate it about half a turn to clear it off the fins on the trans.
                  Yes it does.
                  I had a couple beers last night, decided I'm going to get it out no matter what...i was under the car for about 45 sec and it popped out...i find it funny considering i didn't really do anything too different. The balancer didn't turn any. Now i just have to get my DD up in the air and do it all again today! and drop the fuel tank and see where my above half tank leak is (can't see it from the inspection plate under the rear seat )

Edit: So i am in the process of taking down the "aftermarket" exhaust the previous owners put on...and i must say its making for some pretty funny pictures...the more i tare into this thing the more if the previous owners did this stuff or if they just had an incredibly horrible mechanic. I will post my pics later when i am done.
                  Last edited by Helltime; 10-01-2011, 08:20 AM.
                  1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Turns out i actually broke the bolt..and i found i have another loose, i think i am just going to replace them all while i am in there
                    1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Well i finally got around to fixing this. it turns out the missing bolt was actually a broken bolt, and a bent another so i robbed all 3 off the parts car (the nuts on the ones for the coupe looked partially sheered off...) and I replaced my tranny mounts and WOW that made a difference, i am happy now, car drives alot better and my vibration is gone...woot! Seeing how this car is beyond saving and i am just going to thrash it into the ground anyways, all parts came from the parts car (i swear they had to have just replaced the tranny mounts on the parts car because they looked brand freakin new!).

And the exhaust is even more ghetto than i originally thought.

1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Working...
                      X