about to swap a new fuel tank in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about to swap a new fuel tank in

My tank has been leaking a lot and I am looking to get a new tank in. I was wondering if there waere any parts I should order aswell (exhaust gaskets, guibdo; etc) before I start the job. Lastly, where do you drop the exhaust I read past the downpipe, and how is the guibdo marked. Thanks in advance

Poor adam

It is easier to get the drive shaft out with the complete exhaust (down pipes back) out. The guibo does not need to come out if it is still in good shape, but if it's been a while since it's been replaced then its better to order another one. Center support bearing for the drive shaft is another part to do while you're down there and yes the exhaust gaskets. Might as well check your tranny mounts too. Shifter sloppy? Another easy fix with the DS out. Fuel line. Thats about all I can think of.

Comment

Separate the exhaust after the down pipes. You will need new gaskets for that and may want to replace the rubber exhaust hangers. Take a look at the guibo and replace it if it has cracks or tears. I'd replace the soft fuel lines. You'll need a foot or so of 5/16" fuel injection hose and about the same amount of regular 5/16" fuel hose for the low pressure side. I'm guessing that you will swap over the fuel pump, etc., to the new tank, so have new seals on hand.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

As for the driveshaft, I've removed slip yoke s10 shafts before. So would I just disconnect at the driveshaft center bearing? If this bearing is bad does it need to be pressed or is it doable with home tools.

Id be all about tearing straight into this project but I currently donot have the place to start it yet.

Comment

I normally drop the whole drive shaft by removing the bolts at the guibo, differential, and CSB. If the rubber mount of the CSB is failing, the cause (in almost all cases) will be binding u-joints in the drive shaft. You can replace the CSB (using a press), but the new part will have a short life until the drive shaft is replaced. The quibo fails from age and it should be replaced if cracked or torn.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            I normally drop the whole drive shaft by removing the bolts at the guibo, differential, and CSB. If the rubber mount of the CSB is failing, the cause (in almost all cases) will be binding u-joints in the drive shaft. You can replace the CSB (using a press), but the new part will have a short life until the drive shaft is replaced. The quibo fails from age and it should be replaced if cracked or torn.
            You can't just replace the ujoints?
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Working...
            X