Engine died after hitting potholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine died after hitting potholes

Driving home from work, I hit a bunch of potholes in downtown SF. The car first cut power for a split second (note that headlights, dash lights were still working), and threw a check engine light. The car drove normally for another block before completely dying. It would crank but the motor wouldn't 'catch'.

The car is very stiff with 600/700 lb spring rates front and rear, and urethane everything. I don't usually commute in the car but I had no other car to drive this past weekend.

My guess is that something electrical popped out of place? Unfortunately, this has happened to me before- that time it turned out that the relays had bounced out of their holders. This time, I checked all the relays, fuses, and battery connection - all were fine.

Anyways, I ended up having the car towed to my mechanics shop... where it started right up. I drove it into his garage in fact. Any ideas what the problem could be? A ground that's been knocked out of place? Thanks.

is your main relay original?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Very likely. It looks really old.

Comment

I mean, relays don't just fail and then work again later though?

Comment

yes, yes they do. :(
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Completely OT, but doesn't SF have a law that the city is responsible for damages caused to your car by the roads? May be complete BS but I heard that somewhere.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Main engine ground??

Comment

Start by making sure the relays are fully seated.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yep, I check that all the relays were seated when I was stalled by the side of the road. That's what happened to me previously when I was driving back from Ryan G's shop after getting my urethane subframe bushings put in.

I THINK the main engine ground cable is ok. I checked it recently-ish.

Comment

Check the crank sensor?

Comment

99% sure its your main relay. A friend of mine had that problem on his trip home last summer. Then we had the very same problem on the drive back to seattle. His main relay for one, had never been replaced, and two, the relay didn't sit very snug in the connector.

Solution:
                      New relay and we got a 12" zip tie and wrapped it over the top and underneath the connector them zipped it down. Hasn't had a problem in 4 months. And he daily drives it as well.

Hope that helps

Taylor
                      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Had this happen to me a few days ago, not sure if me and Taylor are referring to the same relay, but the one that popped out for me is one on the bunch that sit a bit up further from the fuse box and have that plastic cover over them.

Also, check the crank sensor as well, since you stated the relays were fully seated.
                        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

deferentially electrical
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                            Had this happen to me a few days ago, not sure if me and Taylor are referring to the same relay, but the one that popped out for me is one on the bunch that sit a bit up further from the fuse box and have that plastic cover over them.
                            Yep, that's the one. It's the main relay
                            Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                            Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Thanks guys. Yep, after they popped out last time I zip tied them in. It's very possible they are dead or dying. I'll check into that and the other things mentioned in this thread. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X