Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay ?????

Hey guys,
    Been having trouble with starter. Repalced with a fresh, rebuilt unit and all I get is a click from the solenoid. Prior to ignition switch being turned into the "start position", I get a buzz from the solenoid, click when ignition switch is turned to start, then continued buzz from the solenoid even after the ignition switch is turned off. This buzz continues for a few seconds then I hear the relay click off and the buzz stops. Could I have a bad relay? Battery checks out fine and I have cleaned and checked out all my connections. Any IDEAS APPRECIATED!!!

Are you sure the buzz is from the solenoid (can you feel it vibrate)? The solenoid coil should not have any power to it unless the key is turned to start and thus shouldn't vibrate. There could be a fault in the car's start circuit or some fault in the starter and you can figure out which by using a test light or meter to check for power at the solenoid when the buzz is happening.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

there are no relays involved with the operation of the starter, to answer your question.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Could you be hearing the idle control valve "buzzing"?
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          there are no relays involved with the operation of the starter, to answer your question.
          If there are no relays involved in the operation of the starter, I may have wiring problem, 24v swap! Strange that everything worked for a month after swap prior to changing the starter out.........ummmm! off to the wiring diagram! yippy

Comment

check wires/connectors on starter...

Comment

Update! Double check ALL of the power leads.....ALL OF THEM! That was the problem all along! still have that buzzing but at least it starts!

Comment

Working...
              X