My heat sucks a fat one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My heat sucks a fat one.

My heat sucks, so here's some background info; the car gets up to the center of the temp gauge, new-ish thermostat (2 years or so), replaced heater core 2 summers ago, new-ish blower motor pushes air just fine, and resistor is good as well. Granted it is pretty fucking cold here in the mornings, negatives are not unusual, I just seem to remember my heat blasting air so hot it'd melt your face off a few years ago, and last winter & this winter it has been decidedly mediocre. Even at operating temps the heat is less than impressive. Last winter I swapped the t-stat out because the one in the car was too low & it was not getting up to temp, after the correct t-stat went it it did get better and the car gets up to operating temp, but the heat still sucks floppy donkey dick. Anybody care to comment?
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Are you sure that there's no air in the cooling system?

With a new heater core and the gauge at the mid point the next suspect would be something that is reducing flow through the core or a problem with the blend doors.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

my current car is the same way. after a longer drive (over 45 min.) only then it really gets warm enough to have to turn the temp down a bit. I also put a brand new t stat in it.
      I just put it to, M42s suck.

Comment

Try back flushing the heater core. Just because it is relatively new doesn't mean it isn't clogged a bit.

Might also take a look and make sure the heater valve is opening fully. Maybe a control cable is bent or something. Could also be clogged here.

Comment

U change your valve at the same time as the heater core?

Comment

I'm guessing air in the system. It doesn't sound like coolant is flowing well.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

do a complete flush. take a garden hose and run full blast into the t-stat housing for 15 minutes. then flush and replace with distilled water, 2-3 gallons. then flush and replace with coolant.

it'll get everything out.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

FYI, it helps to run the engine when flushing to circulate coolant, not just fill it and drain it.

Comment

check the heater valve in the engine bay. they can get clogged. Also make sure you didn't reverse the heater hoses going to the heater core.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies! The heater hoses are hooked up right, I flushed the system both when replacing the t-stat and heater core (separate occasions), I blew compressed air though the replacement core & it seemed clear, and I "primed" the heater core (filled it up at the firewall until fluid was coming out of both hoses before reconnecting the hoses to the cooling system), and bled the system (with the car running) when I replaced it. I'll have to double check the valve to see if it is opening fully, I was under the impression that it is electronically actuated, not cable? Are there resistance specs or a procedure for testing the valve somewhere? Ceeker I thought the valve was located inside the cabin near the firewall, up behind the pedal cluster, not in the engine bay? Thanks again guys, it's a who's who of R3v OG's in here.
                    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

The first thing to check would be to see if the valve is operating. It is next to the heater core and electrically operated.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

its not the m42. my m42 and m44 push out enough heat to melt plastic. Its just your setup
                        Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

I think you need to install a cooling device to avoid overheating in the car from affecting the engine of the car. drift boss smash karts

Comment

Working...
                          X