Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to UnChip my m20

Just a quick briefing:

88 325is, stock except for bav auto chip.

Ive been getting lower mileage then I should (20mpg mostly highway driving, not really mashing it).

Ive replaced:
    FPR, fixed evap, o2 sensor, air filter, etc etc.. Car idles fine.

My next approach was to remove my bav auto chip. I read that it can mess the dme up with fuel mapping, and for the time being I really do not need the extra power at 4k-6k.

Ive read the BAVauto how to, but my question here is: The oem chip that the bav chip takes place of, what is it called? I assume that since its there before, if I were to uninstall the bav chip I would need to reinstall the oem one. Im trying to figure out what to even call it so I ask around to buy one. If it isn't necessary (i wish) then I would just keep it out.

Lastly, Ive also read the mark d chip gives good 2-4k throttle response? Any views on that to confirm it? I do not like to rev too high, and since its my daily I would honestly rather get more low end torque. Thanks!

take the 4.10lsd out of the car, that is why you have poor mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
      take the 4.10lsd out of the car, that is why you have poor mpg.
      According to the p/o's i have a 3.73lsd.

Im going to look up how to determine which lsd I have because when you mention it I seem to get solid 4.10 type mileage.

Comment

look under the car to find out what you have. anything can be changed on a car that is 20+ years old. dont expect it to have what it came with factory.

only takes a few mins to go outside and look at the tag
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop?? ;-)
        Originally posted by JinormusJ
        But of course
        E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
          look under the car to find out what you have. anything can be changed on a car that is 20+ years old. dont expect it to have what it came with factory.

only takes a few mins to go outside and look at the tag
          True, I always forget my car is a good 4 years older then me hahah.

EDIT: its a 3.73lsd

Any more input on removing my bav chip?
          Last edited by Kozworth; 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

a 4.10 isn't going to give you excessively poor mileage, anyway. Neither will the bavauto chip (I had one).

the stock chip is called a stock chip. :p

you just need to know what DME you have.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Let me know what ECU you have, I happen to have a few stock chips around :)
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Im in the middle of logging my mileage a different way.. we will see if it was my quirky gas gauge (seee my other posts) has just been messing my calculations

Comment

Working...
                X