Understanding the SRS/Airbag Control Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding the SRS/Airbag Control Module

Okay, the SRS on an e30 is the most simplest in design compared to modern airbag technologies. However, it is also the biggest pain because no one seems to be able to properly diagnose or reset it (yes, I've tried searching and the tricks didn't work)

For me, it all started during a dash swap and I neglected to disconnect the battery when unplugging the module. It was a Do'h moment after everything was reassembled and I have since lived with the flashing warning for the past 2 years that I've tried everything you can do to get it reset.

I guess my question is, can I simply remove a module from a donor car properly (w/battery disconnected), and re-install it into my car (w/battery disconnected), without triggering an error in the module?

do you really need the airbag to function? it's a 20+ year old, untested pyrotechnics device. it's not going to help you if you're wearing a seat belt, in fact it's probably more likely to injure you (arms/wrists/hands/face).

if it were me, I'd just remove the computer and be done with it. carry on. :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

haha normally i would follow your advice in a heart beat chris. However, this is the GF's car and she want's it for closure. I won't argue with her since it took many attempts to even convince her to get an e30 in the first place

Comment

just unplug her and tell her you fixed it. haha. :p

hell, there's no gaurantee it would go off anyway. mine didn't (thankfully)

anyway, I think you should be able to transport a module from another car. I might have mine laying around somewhere still.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm trying to understand how the module retains information of the airbag system being tampered with or triggered. I wonder why simply disconnecting power to the system won't reset it

Comment

maybe because the battery was powered, something got tripped. but we know unpluggin the battery won't cause a light, so unplugging the battery, then removing the module, shouldn't cause an issue.

it stays tripped becuase it must have some sort of flash memory to keep the error code, or perhaps something inside is permanently tripped.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i have a 91 318is and came across it when getting fogs to work. can i remove the whole thing? the orange box comp? and orange plugs?
              please let me know.

Comment

yes you can remove it.

Comment

Working...
                X