Assistance Please!! BBS New Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistance Please!! BBS New Wheels

I have a 1989 BMW 325i 5spd. I recently installed new wheels 205/50/16 tires. I had the back wheels on 2 days early and everything was fine. Then I installed the front 2 and I got a Loud Clunking Noise from the Front end. So i took off the Front Right wheel and put the stock 195/65/14 rim/tire back on and I can go straight and make right perfectly fine. But the moment I turn to the left the clunking noise is back. Straight=Fine, Right=Fine, Left= Clunking Noise. Now If the Right wheel can handle the stock rim no problem then this means whatever the problem is I need to do it for both sides to be able to have both of my new wheels on. What is causing this clunking noise? Tie Rod's, Control Arm W/Ball Joints??

Are the new wheels hubcentric? What's their offset?

Comment

Im not to positive of the offset honestly. Do you think the offset could be the problem? If im not mistaken they are 16x7

Comment

The offset for the 325i is 100mm. So if If my Offset on these new wheels are 120mm? What can i do to compensate for this?

Comment

Sounds like you could be hitting, the inner fender linning. The easy fix would probably be, a small spacer if your inner wheel barel is too wide.
          This is just my quick opinion from what I'm reading. Maybe some pictures would help., also how low are you?
          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Stock Height. Not Lowered or anything. I can't be rubbing only because if you accelerate slightly and just tap the steering wheel to left it makes the clunking noise. Now remember the right side has the stock 14" Rim on and it turns 100%. I just did research and remembered the Wheels I bought came off of a Integra with a High Offset of 56.1. The Stock the 325i Wheel Offset is 4 lug 3.97 inch or 100mm Medium Offset. The Rims are the problem?

Comment

you are so confused with all kinds of numbers you don't know which is which. 56.1 is likely to be the hub bore as you never really see wheels with an offset much above +45mm, its never in 0.1mm increments either.

Does it just clunk once when you turn left, or does it keep clunking as the wheel turns? That will help you narrow it down, if it keeps clunking you can pretty much rule out things like tie rods, rack ends, etc. Id be looking at something in the hub or the brakes, maybe even the wheel not being seated properly. Jack the side up that is making noise and spin the wheel while it is bolted up and see.

You really need to know what the specs of your wheels are. if the 56.1mm is the hub centre, thats probably going to be your problem right there. The wheels won't fit on the e30 hub and will need to be drilled out. They probably won't be located properly and won't be seating flush with the hub. If the wheel wobbles when you spin it, or if you grab a hold of the wheel while in the air and try to wiggle it, you might have found your problem.
              Just a little project im working on
              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

I really didn't want to be the bearer of the bad news, but yeah.......:giggle:

Comment

Now it makes sense. Well that was my noobie moment haha. I got to heated up with numbers that I got misguided. Thank You once again everybody for the assistance. The Wheels are not properly fitted for my E30. But its just crazy cause the Rear Wheels are perfect no noise. Just a Smooth ride. Well Time to get rid of these bad boys! FUCKkkkk!!

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post

56.1 is likely to be the hub bore

You really need to know what the specs of your wheels are.

if the 56.1mm is the hub bore, that's probably going to be your problem right there. The wheels won't fit on the e30 hub and will need to be bored out. They probably won't be located properly and won't be seating flush with the hub.
                    ^Distilled for clarity, then X2.

Comment

There is no Spacer to compensate for this or a different route to take. If not ima get rid of the wheels today. And Run the Adorable lil 14's

Comment

Pics of the front and backs of the wheels, prease.

Comment

Did you check if your wheel contact pads are not hitting your front brake brackets ? With my RS's I had to grind my brackets to fit them properly.
                          E30S54 - Scale Suspension / Unix Performance Coilovers - 17x8 and 17x9 BBS E50

Comment

Pic the Back
                            Attached Files

Comment

2 I hope can Help. Im going to get better pics later.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X