Sunroof Totally Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunroof Totally Stuck

So I've been thinking about how to attack this and thought I'd make a thread about it. My electric sunroof hasn't moved in a decade (literally), and I can hear the motor trying when I press the button, but it doesn't want to move at all.

Should I just start yanking stuff out, or is there like a panel I can pop open and crank it back manually? Maybe I could push on it somehow and get it to free up?

The car sat and has probably gathered rust in some areas, so I'm trying to find the most gentle approach I can to break the least amount of parts. Any sunroof gurus would be appreciated.
    '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

try to disassemble the sun roof weather stripping inside the car. Slightly open the roof liner to expose the mechanism. Looks closely for anything that will bind the track.

Also the motor might be shot. It might try to open it but might not have enough torque to actuallly open the old sunroof. Try opening it by taking off the access cover and use a hex key to manually turn sun roof drive mechanism.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
    X