Cluster woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster woes...

Everything on my cluster quit work months ago, except for the speedo. I replaced the SI board batteries, that did nothing. Figured the board was shot so I ordered a new replacement SI board. Finally got around to installing it just now, shit still does not work. FML. The only think that currently works is the speedo. Everything is hooked up correctly, triple checked. Shit is frustrating. I really wish I could tell how much gas I have. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next?

Did you check fuse #10?
    '89 Spec E30

Comment

Did you check both ground nuts in the cluster? You need to remove them and clean the rust if they are corroded.

Comment

Didn't check the grounds, but I didn't notice any corrosion, everything looked clean. Fuse is good. Guess I need to break out the multimeter.

Comment

re-solder the joints on the cluster, not too much though, I learned the hard way. Also may as well change out the sender unit from the diff, it was the ultimate cause of my odometer not working, all though since your speedo still works, the sender unit is probably still good, but its only a $25 part. I had similar issues that took a while to sort out, damn electronic gremlins.
          '90 M3/ e36 Alpineweiss III/ SOLD!

E60 M5 Silbergrau/ SOLD!

'91 M3/ diamantschwarz-metallic w/ M stripes/, H&R spacers, TMS chip, UUC, Bavarian plugs, 18" BBS RG-R wheels, Euro airbox, SS exhaust...

'06 M3/ Lachssilber/ SMG euro software/ Comp package/ 12mm spacers/ Xenisis Fogs and DRL's/

Comment

Re-soder the joints on the main board. If you look at the joints with a magnifying glass you can see where they are cracked.

Comment

Nice, thanks for that. In all my research I haven't come across anything that talks about resodering the joints. When I have some free time I'll see if that's the issue.

Comment

See these posts for examples of cracked solder joints.

Comment

I pulled the cluster out again today to check the grounds and the solder joints. I saw 2 cracked solder joints near the temp gauge which I fixed. I also cleaned up the ground nuts which weren't dirty to begin with. Went to put it back in and nothing. Only thing working is the speedo as before. It has a brand new SI board so the batteries or that wouldn't be the problem and the fuse is good. Is there a relay that may be bad or something else I can check?

Comment

Figured out to pull fuse #10 out and put it back in instead of only using a tester; in case of a bad connection. Also found out to try swapping K6 and K7. And need to check the main ground to the left of the steering column as well. We shall see what happens...

Comment

I checked the main ground and it was a little cruddy. Cleaned it up then pulled fuse #10 and put it back in. Cluster works now. Sooooo glad I can tell how much fuel I have.

Comment

Anything on why my tach jumps around? Like sometimes it works fine. Other times it says I'm. At 3k rpm while idleing (I'm not trust me) and it will go all the way around and loop back down to zero. Any ideas?

Comment

replace cluster?

Comment

Everything else works all the time. Only the tach does this :/ I can't figure out why

Comment

cracked/loose solder joint or bad connection inside the cluster
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X