dash mat = more problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dash mat = more problems?

for those of us who've done a dash swap we all realize how big of a pain in the ass it is so we go the extra mile sometimes and invest in a dash mat to protect it.

I myself have a bavauto carpet style one. However, I noticed that if I were to stick my hands under the mat to feel the dashboard, it is burning hot! is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Isn't extra heat bad for the vinyl and will ultimately lead to cracks?

why have a nice brand new dash if you're going to cover it in an ugly dash cap/mat/carpet?

it's like leather furnature covered in clear plastic, or old school car bras that just ruin the paint under them anyway because people never take them off to clean.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hah very true chris. I take it off during the winter months, when I have passengers, and other special occasions. but for DD when it's parked in a exposed lot for 10 hours a day while I'm at work I make sure I try to keep it nice and protected

Comment

The dash is going to last X (.8X if in direct sunlight) amount of time no matter how you protect it. A windshield sun shade will keep the direct sun off the dash, but the car is still going to get hot when parked outside. Materials used to make the dash weren't as good way back when as they are now. When the dash on my restoration car cracks I'll just get get a new one from BMW. It should be good for at least another 20 years.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ever heard of a windshield reflector? It keeps the sun ray away from the dash and the car cool. If you do not want sun damage, use sun screen lotion on the dash to absorb the UV rays.

Comment

Dash covers r worth it IMO. I've gone through about 5 dashes so far & have only had a mat on the current dash. Ive learned from my other dashes that you always want to keep your dash saturated never dry. I've tried armorall & absolutely hated it. To much shine & unless u constantly reapply dries your dash worse than death valley. May sound funny, but I've actually gotten the best result from Cooking oil. Just work it into the dash like rub it in. Wipe off the excess & roll. Gives A nice sheen & seems to protect the dash quite well.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

extra virgin olive oil tho
              /thread

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                Ever heard of a windshield reflector? It keeps the sun ray away from the dash and the car cool. If you do not want sun damage, use sun screen lotion on the dash to absorb the UV rays.
                not sure if serious...

I used Armor-All. I kinda like the shiny dash look, but if it does indeed dry it out later, I'd switch it up... Extra virgin olive oil eh..? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek
                  How does cooking oil not just heat up your dash? I'll always advocate against it until someone tells me an actual answer. It's meant to heat shit up, not protect it. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant.
                  I don't know the scientific reasoning behind the miracles of olive oil, but from experience, it's kept everything nice and moist . I'm sure someone else can chime in tho.
                  Crackless dash owner over here waffleswaffleswaffles

Comment

How does cooking oil not just heat up your dash? I'll always advocate against it until someone tells me an actual answer. It's meant to heat shit up, not protect it. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant.
                    wow...
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you're right. it will heat up and cook the dash.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

so using baby vivek's logic, I can now cook my eggs over-easy on my dash while driving to school in the morning, WIT JUST LE OLIVE OILS
                        mind = bnkfsbabwkbhjb

Comment

Oh okay, good to know you know everything over here. How bout you tell me how oil stops something from getting damaged by the sun.
                          I am only speculating, buuuuuut... Oil has a higher boiling point than water; it doesn't turn into gas at the same point water does. Therefoer, since oil is moist, and it doesn't evaporate in the heat range the e30 is exposed to, it'll stick on the dash and absorb some of the suns UV rays without evaporating as oil is also thick and works as a buffer between the energy transferred from the sun via light to the black dash. Olive Oil also has antioxidants, and works wonders for human skin; I'm sure it would work the same miracles for a 20 year old dash

Don't worry.. This is stuff you'll learn in Biology and Chemistry ;)

On a side note...
                          I nominate RUFFLZ for the accolade "Member of the Year"

Comment

a new dash and olive oil work perfectly

dash carpet = garbage and look hideous anyway
                            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                            Got Drop?? ;-)
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            But of course
                            E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                              On a side note...
                              I nominate RUFFLZ for the accolade "Member of the Year"

Comment

Working...
                              X