dash mat = more problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
    When the dash on my restoration car cracks I'll just get get a new one from BMW. It should be good for at least another 20 years.
    I thought they were NLA? - or like $1200 or something?

If someone wants to - make a replacement dash OE, Carbon fiber, or simulated leather......profit. (that new CF-like fabric in the new BMW's is interesting)
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

i put olive oil on my dash and my wife said ( and you question me about vinigar in the medicine cabinet )
      sigpic

Comment

Way too much info....
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek
          Oh okay, good to know you know everything over here. How bout you tell me how oil stops something from getting damaged by the sun.
          when you finish grade 10, then we can talk.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I thought they were NLA? - or like $1200 or something?
            They are still available and they do list for $1200. Probably not something you'd do for the average E30, but if you are putting $7-8K into a restoration it makes more sense.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

In all seriousness I am torn on the subject.

I drove my car yesterday for a while in direct sunlight without having the dash mat on. Suffice to say, the dash was cooler to the touch without the mat. I guess the mat ends up trapping the heat underneeath it above the dash.

Now goes the question of what the leading factor to dash cracks are. UV exposure or heat

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I would just use one of those sun shield things.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Okay...here is the "theory" behind using oil on your dash...UV rays from the sun is the major reason for the damage on your dash (not so much heat, but remember UV rays have so much more energy and that energy will convert to heat). When UV rays are shine on your dash it must be absorbed by some other materials. Too much UV absorption will start to cause the bonds in the plastic material to break, hence dash-cracking. Oil (especially olive oil) with many double bonds, which can absorb UV rays nicely, can absorb the UV rays instead of the dash. However, the best method of preventing dash-crack is nor letting dash expose to UV rays. Therefore, the most economical and sensible method is to use a wind shield reflector. BTW, sun screen lotion works much better than oil because it is designed to absorb UV rays.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                    In all seriousness I am torn on the subject.

I drove my car yesterday for a while in direct sunlight without having the dash mat on. Suffice to say, the dash was cooler to the touch without the mat. I guess the mat ends up trapping the heat underneeath it above the dash.

Now goes the question of what the leading factor to dash cracks are. UV exposure or heat
                    Both. Heat alone causes loss of plasticizer, making the plastic become brittle. UV causes changes in the chemical structure.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

one major reason I wouldn't use food based oil is because it will break down. I can't imagine it smells all that great after a few years.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        Both. Heat alone causes loss of plasticizer, making the plastic become brittle. UV causes changes in the chemical structure.
                        Not quite, Jim. Most of the leaching plasticizers are comtaminants from the polymerization process and are present in small amount. The "plastic" smell that are present in new cars are derived from these contaminants. The free plasticizers do not stay in the dash for more than a few years. Heat, on the other hand, causes expansion and contraction of the dash. Repetitions of these cycles will eventually lead to cracks. UV rays speed up this process because it will degrade the plastic, thus, causing many weak-points in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          one major reason I wouldn't use food based oil is because it will break down. I can't imagine it smells all that great after a few years.

^ This.

I have a crack free dash, came in my car that came out of a field.

My theory? No one every tried to "protect" it by putting crap on it. Result? No cracks.

I'm afraid to put ANYTHING on my crack free dash. She gets wiped down with a damp rag on occasion.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X