Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this on my eta? + Emissions question

Hey there,

I have an 87 eta. I was checking out the air filter to see if it was dirty, and removed the upper/lower air box. When I put it all back togather, and plugged in the afm and this other harness, the car cranked but wouldnt start. I put this little cover on top of this thing, and then tried a couple other times and got it to start.

I was wondering what this was exactly. I also was looking to just throw a cone filter in front of the afm to free up some space since the filter in my airbox was dirty. If this part was necessary, where exactly would i put it?

Its the thing ziptied down next to the air box.

Lastly, I tried to go through NJ inspection. For those who do not know, NJ only checks emissions and for a cel. However, I did not even have the cel bulb in but they did not even acknowledge it.

Anyways, the cars p/o basically put a whole newer magnaflow catback exhaust, looks pretty new. It has the o2 sensor aswell (not sure if it was replaced recently). Anyways, they did the sniff test where they check for CO in the tailpipe at idle and under load.

At idle the car varies from 900-1k, so I assume its a vacuum leak or something along those lines, which I will be looking into. However, when they put the car under the load test, the lady kept falling above and below the rpm range. The car failed by 1 point on the CO scale. Could this be because of the lack of staying within the rpm range?

I figure w/ a lower idle, there will be less emissions, so I am working on pinpointing the higher idle. But I am just wondering if the lady was at fault and ruined the CO emissions scores due to falling out of range.

Thanks again

reads barometric pressure...dont really even know why they have them, but I had thought it might be bad at one point, disconnected it and swapped it, made no difference...think it richens the fuel at higher altitude
    may you rest in peace, or pieces, whichever comes first

Comment

Originally posted by BavBeater85 View Post
      reads barometric pressure...dont really even know why they have them, but I had thought it might be bad at one point, disconnected it and swapped it, made no difference...think it richens the fuel at higher altitude

Comment

Any reason why this would cause a non start? Im trying to figure out if I got a small issue or if this caused a no start. I got a full time job starting monday and its a distance away, so just want to solve any minor crap before I got to commute this thing.

And any input on the emissions portion of my post is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comment

it wouldnt have anything todo with a no start. Check you cap/rotor and coil. Make sure your getting spark. You can test the FPR by taking off the fuel return line and crank the car, if you get car coming out then your fuel pump is good. Trouble shooting is your friend :D

Comment

If left unplugged the dme will assume you are at sea level. It wont cause a no start condition though.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I just realized the only other thing I had touched on my car before parking it in the garage was the fpr vacuum line. I removed the old one and just put a new one on. Odds are though, the fpr just returns fuel when it reaches a certain pressure, so if there wasnt vacuum yet in the line (since it was just replaced) i wouldnt assume this would cause a no start since its not preventing fuel from getting to the rail/injectors.

All the injection stuff is brand new. Coil, plugs, wires, rotor. Cap is the same though, i thought i ordered it but didnt come in my box. However, it all ran well. I got it to start up normally 2 times after trying a couple times, and heard pump priming. Ill just investigate in the near future.

Any input on passing emissions?

Comment

my bad, less air would mean the ecu leans out the mixture....definitely wouldnt cause a no start though. as far as emissions go, Ive heard just driving around to get the enginine and cat warm can lower your emissions score, maybe that point you need? dont know, never had to get a smog test
                may you rest in peace, or pieces, whichever comes first

Comment

Working...
                X