n00b question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n00b question.

So this E30 I recently picked up seems have to a small clutch/clutch pedal problem?

Running through the gears; 1-3 gear WOT pulls, the clutch slips. I thought it may have needed a new clutch, but decided to see if the "pedal" might have been causing it? When testing, I put it in 2nd, held he clutch pedal up and did a pull, no slippage.

Did it again, in 2nd gear, RESTED my foot on the pedal, as i normally do when driving, and it started to slip. When I say rest my foot on it, i mean my foot is just barely on the pedal, maybe the pressure of a feather if that lol. So my question is, is there any way to adjust the clutch pedal/clutch line to get rid of this problem? Leanring to "drift" with a slipping clutch is no good, or fun lol.

Don't ride the clutch lol. Pretty simple.

Comment

lol, I appreciate the helpful info, haha. But it seems the clutch doesnt fully disengage when i release the clutch pedal. This E30 is my 10th-11th vehicle, all being manual except the V8 s10. I'm not trying to say I know it all, but with 6 years driving experience, and 9-10 cars being manual, I do believe I can drive a vehicle with a manual transmission correctly lol. When I said "Rest my foot on pedal..." I meant, it might move like a 16th of a mm when doing so, the clutch itself would not engage with that much movement.

Comment

Well you said it wasn't slipping when you weren't resting your foot. Anyway you could bleed the clutch slave and see if that helps your pedal travel any.

Comment

You should never rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving. The only time your foot should touch the pedal is when shifting. That said, the clutch is worn out and needs replacing. If the clutch was in good condition there would be 1" or so of travel of the pedal before the clutch began to disengage. The disengagement right at the top is a sign of clutch disk wear.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Invest in dead pedal. Watch racers foot work. Don't ride clutch bam no slippage.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

RESTED my foot on the pedal, as i normally do when driving
              Well, THERE's something we can fix, even if your clutch is shot.... Stop it!!!

heh.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

So wait, 9-10 manual cars and you never adjusted a clutch/bled clutch master/slave? Crazy
                85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
                  Well you said it wasn't slipping when you weren't resting your foot. Anyway you could bleed the clutch slave and see if that helps your pedal travel any.
                  Friend and I bled it last night, helped a little bit with "pedal travel". Where it use to disengage when I pressed the clutch this much "||" it now starts to disengage when i press it this much"| |" haha.

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                  You should never rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving. The only time your foot should touch the pedal is when shifting. That said, the clutch is worn out and needs replacing. If the clutch was in good condition there would be 1" or so of travel of the pedal before the clutch began to disengage. The disengagement right at the top is a sign of clutch disk wear.
                  I've owned the car for 3 days. It's been doing this slipping since test drive, me resting my foot on the pedal didnt cause it. And there isnt 1" of clutch travel before disengagement, as stated before, there might be a MM, maybe 2MM before disengagement.

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                  Invest in dead pedal. Watch racers foot work. Don't ride clutch bam no slippage.
                  I will google this "Dead pedal".

Originally posted by Hey_You View Post
                  So wait, 9-10 manual cars and you never adjusted a clutch/bled clutch master/slave? Crazy
                  Lol. Thanks for such helpful advice troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic B View Post
                    I've owned the car for 3 days. It's been doing this slipping since test drive, me resting my foot on the pedal didnt cause it. And there isnt 1" of clutch travel before disengagement, as stated before, there might be a MM, maybe 2MM before disengagement.
                    Which, along with the slipping, is a symptom of a worn out clutch disk.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Riding around with your foot resting on the pedal will trash a brand new clutch in like 15k miles. Would advise against it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        Which, along with the slipping, is a symptom of a worn out clutch disk.
                        Yessir, A friend and I came to the conclusion it might be a bad pressure plate? When pushing the clutch pedal in, it feels as if it were slightly grinding on something? After we bled the clutch, it felt smooth, for about 15 minutes, then went back to feeling "grindy".

Comment

Working...
                        X