Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$25 to the person who figures this out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$25 to the person who figures this out...

Here's the deal. If you figure out how to get my car running, you get $25 via paypal.

I'm an honest person, and I'm not going to cheat anyone out of their deserved reward. But, if I figure out the problem before anyone has the chance to post it on this thread, you lose.

I have an older thread(http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=1#post3237251) with this same problem, but not many people seem to have any interest in helping me.. :dot:

My problem:
    So my e30 is literally 95% put back together. It's a 1990 325i sedan with the a 1987 325i motor. Did a 5 speed conversion during the engine swap as well. Wires under the shifter are all connected correctly and the c143 under the dash is also disconnected. All I have to do is figure out why it's not getting a spark and put the interior panels back together.
    The main problem I have right now, is the no spark issue. Giving the car enough juice, I try and turn it over, but it doesn't get a spark. But as SOON as the engine stops turning(when we turn ignition off), there is a spark.
    I already changed out the coil, the cap and rotor, and the crank position sensor. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT: When I got the car, it had a bad motor, with a great condition wire harness. I then got the 87 i motor and used the harness off of the bad motor.
    Last edited by mother_russia; 06-27-2012, 02:46 AM.

cps?

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
      cps?
      Already got a new one. Installed it, and still nothing.

Comment

year? eta or i , swap? whats been done

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
          year? eta or i , swap? whats been done
          Just revised it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Comment

The first thing that comes to my mind is that the coil doesnt provide enough voltage to jump the gap until the starter motor is no longer drawing current. I would check/replace the coil wire connections, main coil wire, and the ignition coil itself

Comment

Try replacing battery.....I know it sounds stupid but....dont ask me how I think this might work. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jizo View Post
                Try replacing battery.....I know it sounds stupid but....dont ask me how I think this might work. lol.
                Do not replace the battery without first seeing it the battery is a problem. With the battery in, hook up jumper cables from another running car and try to start it. I don't think its the battery though if your starter is already cranking hard.

Comment

If you had put the year/model info of your car and replacement engine in your original thread at the beginning the problem would have been solved by now. That could be important info.

Did you use the 87 engine harness? The body wiring of your 90 chassis isn't exactly compatible with the 87 engine harness and you need to use the 90 harness. Then use what follows as a trouble shooting procedure.

For the engine to run the following conditions must be met:

Power on DME pins:
                  27 Start Input
                  18 Un-switched Power input
                  37 Power Input from Main Relay

Ground on DME pins 2, 14, 19, 24

Timing data from the CPS on DME pins 47 & 48 from a rotating engine

To have spark power must be present at the coil positive and ground pulses
                  from the DME's pin 1 must reach the coil negative. Power to the coil is
                  controlled by the ignition switch via C101. When checking for spark, use the
                  output lead from the coil to eliminate the distributor, rotor and plug wires.

To have injector firing power must be present at each injector and ground
                  pulses from the DME's pin 16 (Bank1) and pin 17 (Bank2) must reach the
                  respective injector bank. Note that the injectors are wired as two banks of
                  three. With cylinder 1,3,5 being bank 1 and 2,4,6 being bank 2. Power to the
                  injectors is controlled by the main relay. Injector firing is best checked
                  with a noid light.

The fuel pump relay must have power on pin 86 (relay coil) from the main relay
                  output (pin 87) and power on pin 30. The DME will ground pin 85 to turn on the
                  relay and power the pump(s) via pin 87. Of the above, only the fuel pump power
                  is fused. So if the there's power at pin 87, but not at the pump, check fuse

The main relay and DME pin 18 receive power from the smaller of the two wires
                  that connect to the battery's positive terminal. That wire incorporates an
                  in-line fuse. When the DME is presented with a start signal, it grounds the
                  main relay pin 85 and furnishes power to the fuel pump relay, injectors, and
                  DME.

Troubleshooting:

Disconnect the battery and the DME cable. Then:

1) Disconnect the coil negative and check continuity from that connector to
                  DME pin 1. Also verify that from DME pin 1 to ground is an open circuit.

2) Check the resistance across DME 47 & 48, which should be 500-560 ohms. If
                  the CPS is dismounted, the resistance can be seen to change from about 500 to
                  540-560 ohms when a ferrous object is brought to the face of the
                  sensor. Neither pin should be grounded.

3) Check for continuity from DME 36 to main relay 85 and from DME 3 to fuel
                  pump relay 85.

Reconnect the coil, remount the CPS (air gap should be 1mm), plug the
                  relays back in, reconnect the DME, and connect the battery. Then do the
                  following checks:

1) With the key off, verify that power is present at DME pin 18 and main relay
                  86 & 30.

2) With the key on, verify that power is present at DME pin 27 and pin
                  18. Power to pin 18 is from the main relay and there should be power to the
                  injectors and fuel pump relay.

3) With the key on, verify that no voltage is present at the DME grounds (2,
                  14, 19, 24).

4) Verify that power is present at the coil positive and at fuel pump relay
                  pin 30. Those get switched power from the ignition switch via C101.

The engine will start and run (if poorly) with only those connections to the
                  DME in place. The other signals from Cylinder ID, AFM, temp sensor, etc., are
                  necessary for proper operation. But they won't prevent the engine from firing.

IMPORTANT:

A power check means seeing a voltage within about a tenth of a volt of what
                  you measure across the battery terminals, which should be at least 12.6v on a
                  charged battery.

A continuity check means seeing less that 1 ohm of resistance.

An open circuit means seeing a resistance of at least 100k ohms.

A good quality auto-ranging digital multimeter will make these tests much
                  easier.
                  Last edited by jlevie; 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ignition switch, sounds bad to me even tho engine cranks does not mean the switch is good. You might want to try another one

Comment

you can tell if its the switch by taking a single cable with aligator clips, clipping one end to the positive battery terminal and the other to +15 on the coil. It will bypass the ignition switch and module and provide the coil with constant power as long as you have it connected.
                      Just a little project im working on
                      - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

also make sure you used your 90' harness.
                        try swaping the ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                          The first thing that comes to my mind is that the coil doesnt provide enough voltage to jump the gap until the starter motor is no longer drawing current. I would check/replace the coil wire connections, main coil wire, and the ignition coil itself
                          We ran extra wiring from the coil to the battery to ensure that the coil is getting enough power. It's not the problem.

Originally posted by jizo View Post
                          We had two batteries connected to the battery inside the car to make sure we got enough power.

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                          If you have put the year/model info of your car and replacement engine in your original thread at the beginning the problem would have been solved by now. That could be important info.

Did you use the 87 engine harness? The body wiring of your 90 chassis isn't exactly compatible with the 87 engine harness and you need to use the 90 harness. Then use what follows as a trouble shooting procedure.

For the engine to run the following conditions must be met:

Power on DME pins:
                          27 Start Input
                          18 Un-switched Power input
                          37 Power Input from Main Relay

Ground on DME pins 2, 14, 19, 24

Timing data from the CPS on DME pins 47 & 48 from a rotating engine

To have spark power must be present at the coil positive and ground pulses
                          from the DME's pin 1 must reach the coil negative. Power to the coil is
                          controlled by the ignition switch via C101. When checking for spark, use the
                          output lead from the coil to eliminate the distributor, rotor and plug wires.

To have injector firing power must be present at each injector and ground
                          pulses from the DME's pin 16 (Bank1) and pin 17 (Bank2) must reach the
                          respective injector bank. Note that the injectors are wired as two banks of
                          three. With cylinder 1,3,5 being bank 1 and 2,4,6 being bank 2. Power to the
                          injectors is controlled by the main relay. Injector firing is best checked
                          with a noid light.

The fuel pump relay must have power on pin 86 (relay coil) from the main relay
                          output (pin 87) and power on pin 30. The DME will ground pin 85 to turn on the
                          relay and power the pump(s) via pin 87. Of the above, only the fuel pump power
                          is fused. So if the there's power at pin 87, but not at the pump, check fuse

The main relay and DME pin 18 receive power from the smaller of the two wires
                          that connect to the battery's positive terminal. That wire incorporates an
                          in-line fuse. When the DME is presented with a start signal, it grounds the
                          main relay pin 85 and furnishes power to the fuel pump relay, injectors, and
                          DME.

Troubleshooting:

Disconnect the battery and the DME cable. Then:

1) Disconnect the coil negative and check continuity from that connector to
                          DME pin 1. Also verify that from DME pin 1 to ground is an open circuit.

2) Check the resistance across DME 47 & 48, which should be 500-560 ohms. If
                          the CPS is dismounted, the resistance can be seen to change from about 500 to
                          540-560 ohms when a ferrous object is brought to the face of the
                          sensor. Neither pin should be grounded.

3) Check for continuity from DME 36 to main relay 85 and from DME 3 to fuel
                          pump relay 85.

Reconnect the coil, remount the CPS (air gap should be 1mm), plug the
                          relays back in, reconnect the DME, and connect the battery. Then do the
                          following checks:

1) With the key off, verify that power is present at DME pin 18 and main relay
                          86 & 30.

2) With the key on, verify that power is present at DME pin 27 and pin
                          18. Power to pin 18 is from the main relay and there should be power to the
                          injectors and fuel pump relay.

3) With the key on, verify that no voltage is present at the DME grounds (2,
                          14, 19, 24).

4) Verify that power is present at the coil positive and at fuel pump relay
                          pin 30. Those get switched power from the ignition switch via C101.

The engine will start and run (if poorly) with only those connections to the
                          DME in place. The other signals from Cylinder ID, AFM, temp sensor, etc., are
                          necessary for proper operation. But they won't prevent the engine from firing.

IMPORTANT:

A power check means seeing a voltage within about a tenth of a volt of what
                          you measure across the battery terminals, which should be at least 12.6v on a
                          charged battery.

A continuity check means seeing less that 1 ohm of resistance.

An open circuit means seeing a resistance of at least 100k ohms.

A good quality auto-ranging digital multimeter will make these tests much
                          easier.
                          When I got my car, it didn't have the original engine. The guy who I got the car from, told me that original engine was having problems so he swapped it out. So when I got the car, it already had its second engine. I'm not sure where he got the second motor, or what car came off of. But the wire harness that came inside the car, is what I'm using right now.

Originally posted by 2quikmotorwerks View Post
                          Ignition switch, sounds bad to me even tho engine cranks does not mean the switch is good. You might want to try another one

We checked the ignition and it seems just fine.

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                          you can tell if its the switch by taking a single cable with aligator clips, clipping one end to the positive battery terminal and the other to +15 on the coil. It will bypass the ignition switch and module and provide the coil with constant power as long as you have it connected.

Wait, what switch are you talking about...?

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                          also make sure you used your 90' harness.
                          try swaping the ECU
                          The car came with the 90 harness. I didn't touch it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Since you got the car with the 87 engine already in it, how can you say that it has the 90 engine harness? Is there a round connector underneath the intake manifold between the engine harness and injector connections? If there isn't the harness is from an 87 car.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Idk much about swap or wiring, but I am going with the harness.

Try a 1987 wiring harness, or recheck the wiring.

I am doing an e to i swap and I have a 1987 325, in order for me to hae a direct swap I must use a 1987 wiring harness, and if I wante to use one from a different year some wires need to be spliced. Make sure all the correct wires are spliced, or try a 1987 wiring harness if you can?

Not sure.

Goodluck

Comment

Working...
                              X