Windows and blower relays not energizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows and blower relays not energizing

So my windows and my blower motor for the interior fan aren't working. If I pop open the relay, and push it closed, and then use the window or blower it works fine. So my relays aren't energizing. Shouldn't these ones energize when the key is turned to on? Also, I don't have a low beam relay, looks like a funky one. Anyone know a part number?
    I swapped in a healthy m20 and just got it running. So, Plugs I should check? Bentley doesn't show a whole lot about electricity to the relays, (I probably need to look closer.)

edit: After looking more carefully at the bentley, there are a couple plugs under the left side of the instrument panel, (lower panel is still off on my car) so I need to hop in and check those,
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Driftin; 06-30-2012, 06:48 PM.

What year car? If a 9/87 production or later the problem will be with the unloader circuit. The unloader switch is in the starter solenoid and grounds the unloader relays when the starter isn't engaged. Perhaps you forgot the connect the unloader wire to the starter if the replacement engine (and harness) was from a 9/87 or later.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It's an 88 ix. Where does this unloaded wire go from the starter?

Comment

The wire is the one at the upper post of the starter, it is black/green.

Put it to ground and your stuff will work again...or test your starter to actually fix it.

the terminal should have +12V when in start and ground otherwise

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

You sir are correct! I did not hook up the unloader wire, and nothing was attached to that top post of the starter. I also couldn't find anything to attach it too. I went back and looked at more schematics, and found the green and black wire under the fuse box, cut it, and grounded it. No I am a happy camper with functioning sunroof, windows, blower motor, and probably some other stuff I don't know about.
          Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Nope, just windows and HVAC blower.

Don't accidentally try to run that heater fan when cranking the motor, all kinds of bad stuff could happen

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
            X