Can't Lock My Car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Lock My Car!

I just got my first e30 about a week ago, an '88 325is. I've been loving it, and this site has been a real help too.

I have started to have trouble with my locks. My car came with one BMW key (the kind with the LED in it) and two non-BMW spares. I put one of the no-name keys on my ring and found that I couldn't lock my door. I thought maybe it was the key.

My BMW key seems to work intermittently. I wasn't able to get the car to lock today. It worked yesterday, but not the day before. Strange. I can lock my doors manually.

I'm also having problems where my electric mirror adjustments only work intermittently.

I was told it might be the electrical connector to the door. Does this sound plausible, and how do I actually check it? I tried searching for this problem but mostly found people with broken actuators, where they couldn't even lock their doors manually.

Thanks.

take the switch out and use a sandpaper on the contacts.

spray the lock cylinders WD40.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    ---------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Just don't leave anything expensive or valuable in the car
      sigpic

Comment

wiggle the key when its turned to lock.

When i normally turn to lock on my car it does not lock, I give it a nice wiggle and it locks...does it everytime, i guess its a connection issue, too lazy to take it out to fix
        Had a smooth purchase transaction with me?
        Please share your feedback

Comment

Can you lock the doors from the trunk?
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Lubed the doors. Wiggle doesn't work. It seems that the trunk and passenger door work and the driver doesn't. (Though they didn't work this afternoon...)

Comment

Originally posted by swolfe View Post
              Lubed the doors. Wiggle doesn't work. It seems that the trunk and passenger door work and the driver doesn't. (Though they didn't work this afternoon...)
              The drivers lock sensor often wears out. Maybe your central locking is on the fritz? I locked my car from the trunk for a year before I got keyless
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

there's a shaft in the drivers door that the lock hits when you turn it clockwise.
                on my first e30 the shaft on the lock cylinder was broken off. i had to buy a rebuild kit and rebuild my lock cylinder. this fixed it.

open up your door and watch things move when you lock/unlock it. you'll figure out what's wrong quickly

Comment

Working...
                X