Fuel Filter - My admitted underestimation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Filter - My admitted underestimation

I was so blown away after performing the most basic piece of six minute maintenance on my car...

This time yesterday I was experiencing a bunch of crap that I had put off or regarded simply as common occurrences with 25 year old motors. Would occasionally need to crank it twice to start. Idle issues, especially while the motor was still warming up. Weak idle would inhibit power steering at times. It just generally sounded a little dead.

I swapped the fuel filter (simply because I purchased one with a recent pelican order and wanted free shipping) and it's like there a new M20 under the hood. The starting and idling problems completely disappear, which is totally understandable. It obviously wasn't getting a strong line of fuel. But damn, it's like it has a new soul. The starting, the sounds it makes, the rev quickness, the power..

Anyway, I'm still pumped up enough that I wanted to pass it on. And maybe another fairly new e30 owner will find a cheap and instant way to breath new life into an old motor

I have heard good things about Sea Foam. Try that next to help clean the system even more.
    sigpic
    -----
    Zinno 87 325iS

Comment

sea foam will clog your cat. ask me how i know, three of my previous car got sea foamed and end up not passing smog. then passed with ease with new cat. on the bright side, it does help smooth out the idle and smoother rev.
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Did you use it as a fuel additive or direct to the crankcase?

Comment

No, seafoam is meant to be used on cars. Not on domestic pets like cats.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t

In all seriousness, I have only heard it used as a fuel additive.
            sigpic
            -----
            Zinno 87 325iS

Comment

You can do what's called hot stoking a motor with seafoam. Start it up and then suck a whole bottle of seafoam into the motor via a vacuum hose. Turn car off, let sit for an hour or so. You'll be pumping out white smoke for a good half hour of driving if you do it right. It removes carbon buildup in the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                cats love seafoam just as much as they love antifreeze.
                Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Aluke123 View Post
                  You can do what's called hot stoking a motor with seafoam. Start it up and then suck a whole bottle of seafoam into the motor via a vacuum hose. Turn car off, let sit for an hour or so. You'll be pumping out white smoke for a good half hour of driving if you do it right. It removes carbon buildup in the motor.
                  This sounds pretty awesome. Intense, but just wild enough to be badass.

Reducing carbon buildup is the reason I add a bottle to a fresh oil change in my pickup once a year. Will let it run for 3,000 miles and then change the oil. For adding it to fuel, I've only ever done this if there appears to be a need for moisture control.. I.e. water in the fuel. Otherwise, maybe a tube of fuel injector cleaner, annually, is the only think I think I've put in DD fuel

Comment

Working...
                  X