Smoked Out: Faulty Ignition Switch...Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Out: Faulty Ignition Switch...Pics

What causes this to happen to an ignition switch? It was a pretty harrowing experience since the car didn't even try to crank the first two times and then started smoking on the third try.

Worst part is...the little black connector that plugs into the ignition switch melted along with some of the wiring insulation attached to the ignition switch connector.

Is it safe to replace the ignition switch and wrap the 3 inches of burned wire with electrical tape on the other side of the ignition switch...or do I need to think about splicing and cutting?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Looks to me like there is a serious overload (or short) in that circuit. The damage undoubtedly goes further that what is obvious. You'll need to open the harness to find out how far the damage goes. Then splice in new wire. Oh, yeah, and find and fix the cause of the the overload or short.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

OK thanks for the reply!

Is it naive to think that the short might be in the old ignition switch itself...so replacing the ignition switch would hopefully prevent this from happening again?

I am really not sure how else to check for shorts or other causes...

Also, to fix the other end of the wire that plugs into the ignition switch...should I just buy a plastic female connector from Radio Shack, cut off the burned wires, and splice the good section of the wire into the female connector? The side opposite the ignition switch does not look too burned up at all, so I am not sure if I need to dig all that deep into the harness.

Comment

It is possible that the cause was in the ignition switch, as it is possible that the cause was heating from a bad connection. If there was a ground fault in the ignition switch or on the body side there is almost certainly going to be more damage. If the cause was a bad connector, the damage will be limited to the wiring close to the connector. Opening up the harness will give you a better idea of the extent of the damage and probable cause.

You can work around the damaged connector with male/female insulated spade connectors.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

YGPM about ignition switch
          - Josh
          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
          Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Thanks for the message and the PM. Regarding the ignition switch, I decided to use a $20 off $50 purchase coupon at AAP. I know I thought the BWD part would be made in China, but to my surprise it was a reboxed OEM part made in Germany. Sweet.

Thanks again though!

Comment

Working...
            X