SBI rear strut brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBI rear strut brace

I've really been looking into chassis strength and rigidity, as I'm trying to build my car up for excellent handling. There aren't a lot of rear braces out there, so I was checking out a member's thread on E30Tech, and it listed that he has the SBI rear strut brace in his car. I assume this is it? Are these still available from South Bay Independent? If so, how much, and how do I get in touch with them?

And check out this monster front brace! Is this from SBI as well?

those are ebay braces. At least to bottom one, which i was thinking of maybe getting. I would post a like, but a certain mod would delete it

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
      those are ebay braces. At least to bottom one, which i was thinking of maybe getting. I would post a like, but a certain mod would delete it
      I don't want to buy the front brace, it's way too big and pretty ugly. I'm going with the Sparco for the front.

They are both from ebay, you say? Because I don't see that rear one anywhere.

Comment

yeah but that bar fits the m42 with tons of clearance and i think the sparco one hits the intake manifold.

if this is edited out im gunna be mad

Comment

The rear brace was desinged by SBI, myself. The fabricator that was making them for me made a dozen more than I ordered. I refuesed to pay for the extras and so he is/was selling them on ebay under his own name. He, I believe, is out of them. I still have a few left.

That damn old man did great work, but was a pain in the ass to deal with.
          Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

It's a nice rear bar. I just got one and the quality and design is great. I'm running the sparco in front.
            1989 US E30 Cammed S52
            Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
              The rear brace was desinged by SBI, myself. The fabricator that was making them for me made a dozen more than I ordered. I refuesed to pay for the extras and so he is/was selling them on ebay under his own name. He, I believe, is out of them. I still have a few left.

That damn old man did great work, but was a pain in the ass to deal with.
              are you talking about john mason??? im involved in a project with him at the present time and ive found him to be very accomodating. id welcome any comments through pm's if theres something you think i should know.
              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

do you guys think that stiff of a rear end is a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Zimma
                  Stiff everything is a good idea. Let your suspension do the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Zimma
                    Do you even know how stiff that brace makes the rear end? Have you seen race cars? Have you seen some of the spring rates people run with giant sways?

Will
                    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                    DaveCN = Old Man
                    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

The rear one is worthless. If the car has a mcpherson set up, or a strut set up of any kind int eh rear then its useful. In other words, no force is placed on the rear shock mounts of an e30.

Originally posted by vlad
                      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is
                        The rear one is worthless. If the car has a mcpherson set up, or a strut set up of any kind int eh rear then its useful. In other words, no force is placed on the rear shock mounts of an e30.
                        But with that beefy design, you are also re-enforcing the shock tower. If you're running very stiff shocks, you can rip the tower apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is
                          is that why the shock mounts are notorious for breaking and the mounting points tear out with stiff suspension setups?

I agree that they probably don't do much to stiffen up the rear of the car, but they do reinforce the mount areas as the above poster stated.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My #1 design goal with the bar was to prevent tearing the body when you run solid shock mounts and stiff shocks.
                            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by blunt
                              are you talking about john mason??? im involved in a project with him at the present time and ive found him to be very accomodating. id welcome any comments through pm's if theres something you think i should know.
                              That's who I bought mine from on eBay. He also makes a tube suspension for the rear...I think that was pretty expensive though.
                              -Brandon
                              '86 325es S50
                              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Working...
                              X