pedals: aligning for heel toe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
    There are a few ways to do it, but the way I've found works pretty easily is resting the ball of your foot on the right half of the brake pedal and rolling the right half of your foot onto the accelerator. It's pretty easy to pull off without a ton of knee movement, and with some practice should become pretty natural.
    this. I am 6'1" and I have no issues heel-toeing with size 12 US shoes. I think that the throttle is the right height once you start mashing on the brake.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      The brake pedal is connected to to the booster via a threaded connection. You can loosen the lock nut and shorten the threaded connection.
      Just to close the loop on this thread - what Jlevie said is correct. In fact, if you look in the Bentley manual there is a section devoted to adjusting your Clevis (their word, not mine)... that will in essence control your brake pedal travel length. There are other threads discussing how to remove the pin and brake pedal to adjust the Clevis, BUT that process is unnecessary. You can simply take a small pair of vice grips and then turn the rod that attaches to the brake booster. Rotate the rod counter clockwise if your brake pedal is too high and clockwise if your brake pedal travels too far (e.g., it will feel like there is air in the system when there isn't).

This is a very tight area to get to (push your driver's seat all the way and possibly bribe your small buddy with a six pack of beer), but it can be done and really doesn't take all that long. Just remember to check that your brake lights still work once you have adjusted the pedal. I had to adjust the brake check switch a little after I was done.

E30's are normally very east to heel/toe downshift, so it was frustrating not be able to do this (my brake pedal simply would not depress downward enough to also reach the accelerator). Adjusting my brake pedal with the rod attached to the booster did the trick!

-Marc

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
        There are a few ways to do it, but the way I've found works pretty easily is resting the ball of your foot on the right half of the brake pedal and rolling the right half of your foot onto the accelerator. It's pretty easy to pull off without a ton of knee movement, and with some practice should become pretty natural.
        This, never had any issues heel-toeing with my car.

Comment

Working...
        X