Battery or alternater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery or alternater

I just bought an e30 a few months ago and i think i might need a new battery or alternater. if i dont drive the car for a few days its dead. i jump it and drive it for 5 min and it wont start. either the battery is crapped out or the alternater isnt charging the battery..

What do you think??
    1990 BMW 325i
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport
    2003 Mercedes Benz C240

Sounds like you either have a bad battery or a low voltage short draining the battery.

Whatever you decide to do don't buy used parts to fix it! I'm even surprised you drive a used car.

Comment

haha your still not over that? O and BTW the e30 is just my pos... i drive to work and back.. i just purchased a 545i 2005.. What now succa..

But n e ways... What do you guys think? should i go and purchase a new battery or a new alternater?

im thinkin battery..
      1990 BMW 325i
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport
      2003 Mercedes Benz C240

Comment

Why wouldn't you drive teh E60 daily? Is it your daddy's?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

nope... I just got a holiday bonus so i decided to get one.. so i put a down payment on one. But thats not the question...

Battery or Alternater.

o and PS the Digi is broken and has been broken or id take pics of the e30 and e60.. but ill get em asap!
          1990 BMW 325i
          1998 Ford Explorer Sport
          2003 Mercedes Benz C240

Comment

Originally posted by in_s1lence
            haha your still not over that? O and BTW the e30 is just my pos... i drive to work and back.. i just purchased a 545i 2005.. What now succa..
            LMAO.. I'm sorry "succa", but after the sorry ass shit you've already treid to pull off I don't believe a damn thing you say.

PS the Digi is broken and has been broken or id take pics of the e30 and e60.. but ill get em asap!
            You told me you work as a tech at a $tealership... I'm sure I can hit my buddy up at the dealership too and see if he'll let me take picture of an e60 next to my e30 as well.
            Last edited by RobertK; 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Wow, big man with his 545. Watch out Bubbles, he's richer than us (on da intraweb).

Seriously though, go into a parts store, ask them to test your charging system with their tester. Will give a sure answer.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
                Wow, big man with his 545. Watch out Bubbles, he's richer than us (on da intraweb).
                Be careful.. he might try to beat us down with his huge ePenis.

BTW Axxe.. I thinks we have the same car.. only my hood looks like a big pile of fuck.

Comment

Remove the negative battery cable while the car is running if it dies the alternator is not putting out enough juice to keep the car running. If it does not die it is.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
                    Remove the negative battery cable while the car is running if it dies the alternator is not putting out enough juice to keep the car running. If it does not die it is.
                    Don't do this unless you want to fry your ECU.

Test the alternator by starting the car and putting some multimeter leads on the positive pole of the alternator and grounding the other lead (this eliminates wiring from the equation). This will tell you if you are getting enough juice out of it. It should be 14.5 - 14.7 when running.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                      Be careful.. he might try to beat us down with his huge ePenis.

BTW Axxe.. I thinks we have the same car.. only my hood looks like a big pile of fuck.
                      4 door cirrus blau with tan sport seats and LSD ;)

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Well thank you very much (parkerbink and Axxe) It is much appriciated!
                        1990 BMW 325i
                        1998 Ford Explorer Sport
                        2003 Mercedes Benz C240

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader

Test the alternator by starting the car and putting some multimeter leads on the positive pole of the alternator and grounding the other lead (this eliminates wiring from the equation). This will tell you if you are getting enough juice out of it. It should be 14.5 - 14.7 when running.

James
                          A load test is better, some alternators dish out the right voltage with no load, but give up the ghost under load.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

James
                            I have done this and not only not fried anything but diagnosed a functional or non functional alternator, but thanks for your input.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

oo WOW than you very much i almost did that!

James
                              1990 BMW 325i
                              1998 Ford Explorer Sport
                              2003 Mercedes Benz C240

Comment

Working...
                              X