Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Radiator Hose from Hell

Hey guys,

I redid my entire cooling system this summer. Since then, I have a small leak from the lower radiator hose. I messed around with it, and it seemed to be fine. Now it wont stop leaking!!! Its driving me crazy. I thought it was the hose so I replaced it with a new one months ago, still same problem. The radiator is new, I replaced it this summer.

Im going to go insane and I hope I didnt crack the radiator neck.
    Im going to try another hose tomorrow, and buy a new clamp.
    Is there any tip on how to install that hose? This isnt my first rodeo, I just dont understand what the hell is going on.

Im going to take the rad out and look for cracks, anything in particular I should look for?

Thanks R3v, I appreciate it.
    sigpic

2 words: pressure test

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hmm....

Care to elaborate?

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it.
      sigpic

Comment

I had the exact same issue. Brand new radiator, brand new hose, brand new clamp... small leak from the hose at the radiator. After trying two hoses and two clamps I just put a very small amount of RTV on the radiator neck, that fixed it.

My only thought is, I wonder if either the radiator or hose aren't made exactly to spec.
        90 325i DD/Track
        03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
        It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Originally posted by brutus87 View Post
          Hmm....

Care to elaborate?

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it.
          Yessir...here is a basic elaboration.

The very first thing you do when you suspect a leak is pressure test your radiator. Coolant, being the sneaky liquid that it is, naturally likes to seek out leaks and be a general pain in the butt. Your lower radiator hose may or may not be leaking...and do not trust the drips to show you until you have it under pressure and the easiest and safest way to do that is a simple pressure test.

That apparent hose leak can be a leak all the way across the radiator and only look like it is coming from the hose!

You wanna pump that bitch to about 15PSI, wait 10 minutes and check pressure. a 1 or 2PSI drop over 10 minutes should be OK, but any more than that at all means there is seepage somewhere.

If you know you have seepage, grab a flashlight and inspect your radiator seams. Don't waste your time unless it is under pressure. I know yours is in good shape, but "new" does not mean "good", so even if it is new, test it!

GL and let me know if I can help.

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

A pressure test is a good start and you should never have to use any kind of sealant on a radiator hose. I bought a Dayco hose in an emergency and got rid of it asap as the rubber was as hard as the tread on a tire and it just would not stop leaking. Compare that to a Conti or Elaplast hose (my preferred brands) and you will see the difference.

Besides the possibility of a cracked radiator neck some aftermarket rads are made differently and the hoses dont seem to bite as well.

My 2c
            Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

My lower radiator hoses were something "the shop had laying around", so I'm sure that was my problem. I agree you should never have to use sealant.
              90 325i DD/Track
              03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
              It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Fixed!

Weeks ago actually, sorry for the late response.

Took it to Ryan at Dynasport, he pushed it up further and used new clamps, no more leaks for me :)

Moral of story:

New clamps and a second pair of eyes.
                sigpic

Comment

You need to come up with a better story than that to hide your shame.
                  Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                  X