Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kid asks me to jump his car, wires his battery backwards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kid asks me to jump his car, wires his battery backwards...

As I was leaving school on my way to work today, a kid ran up to me and asked if I could jump his car because he left his lights on in the morning. I agreed, as I've been in that situation many times before.

He had the jumper cables on his car already, so I went to work on mine. When I got them on, there was a slight spark but nothing more.
    I start my car, go back and check his hook-ups, and...

He had it wired backwards.

So I turned my car off as quickly as possible, undid the cables, and told him to find someone else to jump it, as by that time I was already late to work and I didn't want to deal with someone who couldn't probably hookup jump cables.

My car started and ran fine, but what are the chances that something is screwed up? The ABS fuse comes to mind, just from experience of how easily it blows, but nothing else.

If nothing is blown now chances are your fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Lol why did you just not swap and have him turn key? It was a matter of 10 seconds
      "I wanna see da boat movie"
      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

I would never let anyone else hook up cables that would also be hooked up to my vehicle! Your story shows why - glad you didn't fry things.

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
          Lol why did you just not swap and have him turn key? It was a matter of 10 seconds
          I was actually in the process of switching his cables back around the right way (and lecturing him on the importance of double-checking the polarity of the cables) when a friend of his pulled up and said he'd handle it.

When my alternator went bad a few months ago, I had to get a jump multiple times every day, just to get around while the replacement was being shipped. Since then, I sort of made it a mission to always try and help people with non-functioning cars.

Comment

My guess is his battery was VERY dead hence no major issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
            -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

If he put the cables on his car first then its your fault for not checking it. Its not like you have to put black to ground just as long as you do both batteries cars the same.

Comment

You should be fine. I would never let any one touch shit that is being hooked to my car.
                -Andy

Comment

And you didn't check? Gotta remember, not everyone is car savvy these days.
                  Continuous For Sale Thread
                  323i s50

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                    And you didn't check? Gotta remember, not everyone is car savvy these days.
                    Most don't even know where there own hood release is.
                    No E30 Club
                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I always enjoy giving people jumps because they look at me crazy when I back up to them.
                      sigpic

Comment

My old high school mechanic shop teacher was dumbfounded when he tried to hook up an engine analyzer to my 325e. He could not find the battery. I then told him it was in the trunk and he just said "crazy Germans."
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          My old high school mechanic shop teacher was dumbfounded when he tried to hook up an engine analyzer to my 325e. He could not find the battery. I then told him it was in the trunk and he just said "crazy Germans."
                          Weight distribution is over rated, right?
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGeekFreak View Post
                            I was actually in the process of switching his cables back around the right way (and lecturing him on the importance of double-checking the polarity of the cables) when a friend of his pulled up and said he'd handle it.

When my alternator went bad a few months ago, I had to get a jump multiple times every day, just to get around while the replacement was being shipped. Since then, I sort of made it a mission to always try and help people with non-functioning cars.
                            wait you didn't just go down to napa mine went out one day, went down to oreily bought a bosch reman friend slapped it in , in about 15 minutes and i was on my way
                            88 325is Five Speed
                            Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                              I always enjoy giving people jumps because they look at me crazy when I back up to them.
                              Haha You're not the only one. I enjoy that as well

Comment

Working...
                              X