Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel leak and poor fuel economy. Might be related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leak and poor fuel economy. Might be related?

Hi guys,

If I fill up (NOT overfill) the tank, there's fuel dripping from the right side, just in front of the rear wheel. The dripping would stop after 10 minutes. Also I experienced this: with tank nearly full (I'd say about 90-95%), I parked my car in a sloping surface, so that the car tilts to the right. When I got out, fuel drips more than before, it's like a rain. Workshop guy changed the fuel pump and the seal but the problem persisted. He said he must detach the tank to see what's wrong and it would take 2-3 days and it's rather costly. So before I do that, maybe you guys could diagnose what's wrong? Also, could this cause poor fuel economy like I'm experiencing now? Note: both troubles already existed when I bought the car, so I can't decide if one thing leads to the other.

Thank you.

Check the hose between the filler neck and the tank. On my car, the neck at the tank had a crack and was leaking fuel just past the hose clamp. I loosened the clamp and slid the hose over the neck all the way and tightened the clamp and it hasn't leaked since.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

can it be related to the poor fuel economy though? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dan138zig View Post
        Definitely. You spilled all the fuel instead of burning it, dude.

Comment

I know that back when I had my 2002, I had to replace the tank because it was a two-piece unit that had a leak at the seam around the middle. Maybe the same thing is happening to you.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by dan138zig View Post
            caaamon dude, really? :| lol

Comment

Working...
            X