Headlight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Question

The previous owner did some hack job on the headlights that are currently on the car (DEPOs). I want to get some US ellipsoids but uncertain what the car originally came with. It's a 1991 325ix coupe manual. Is there any way to determine what was original equipment? I want to make sure I buy the proper HID kit for my car's setup (ie wattage). Thanks!!

Trace the PO's headlight wires back to the OEM harness:
    1) If there are 3 wires for the low beam it originally came with sealed beams
    2) If there are 2 wires for the low beam it originally came with US Ellipsoids

I think all the harnesses had the same gauge wires and the fuses should be the same so from a wattage capability standpoint I don't think there's any difference.

Comment

it came with sealed beams

get a 35w kit. the wiring will handle 55w fine, but there's no such thing as a 55w HID bulb. they will be brighter at first but the bulb will last half as long. HIDs actually don't burn out, they get dimmer. after 2-3 years a 55w kit will be dimmer than a 35w kit.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        it came with sealed beams

get a 35w kit. the wiring will handle 55w fine, but there's no such thing as a 55w HID bulb. they will be brighter at first but the bulb will last half as long. HIDs actually don't burn out, they get dimmer. after 2-3 years a 55w kit will be dimmer than a 35w kit.
        Thanks!! :up:

Comment

Working...
        X