A/C recharge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C recharge question

So when I bought my car years ago the AC wasn't charged, so I charged it and it blew cold as shit for like 3 years. Then while driving in 105 deg heat a ton of steam started blowing from under the hood. So I pulled over and right behind the passenger headlight a valve was blowing out all my freon!

So I've been driving it without AC for years cause I'm lazy. But it's fucking hot now that I moved away from the beach!

My question: was that just some type of pressure valve that's designed to release in case of an over heating or over pressure situation and I can just refill it without changing anything? ....or did I break something and need to replace it??

I would hate to spend the $150 to recharge it only to have it leak right back out!

Thanks!!

e30 325is - e30 M3 [FOR SALE] - Audi S4 - '78 F-250 .....clicky clicky

You got photos of this said valve? That might be a sensor from the dryer/reciever. I'd change out the dryer/reciever before the recharge. I hear it acts just like a filter for teh system - would you change your oil without changing the filter in retro spec?
    Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

There is nothing like a pressure relief valve in the A/C system. It sounds like you might be talking about the Schrader valve on the high side of the system.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If you take it to have it re charged they will try and vacuum the system first. Thats how you find the leak.

If you poke around in the bay it should be obvious where the charge has leaked out. It should be oily and can even have a green residue around the area.

While driving you could have had a rock strike from a car/ truck in front of you. Its rare but Ive seen debris from roads come up and punch holes right through a condenser.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Sounds like the dryer let go. You need to change it and the pressure switch and should be good to go.
          1989 Cirrus Blau coupe Racing Dynamics wheels and a Volvo Spoiler.

Comment

One of Klaus' lines ruptured the day I charged his AC for the first time (in my possession). It sprayed refrigerant onto the exhaust manifolds which made a big cloud behind the car, like I was playing Spy Hunter.

I wouldn't spend any money on recharging until you can check for something like that and/or the system will hold vacuum.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 330SMG View Post
              Sounds like the dryer let go. You need to change it and the pressure switch and should be good to go.

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
              If you take it to have it re charged they will try and vacuum the system first. Thats how you find the leak....
              Thanks everyone, I didn't think about them vacuum checking, great idea!

Ok so is the part just called: A/C Dryer? ....looking it up right now

e30 325is - e30 M3 [FOR SALE] - Audi S4 - '78 F-250 .....clicky clicky

Comment

Leaks are found with pressurized dry nitrogen, not in a vacuum. Once the leaks have been fixed a vacuum is pulled on the system to remove moisture and air prior to recharge.

A sudden and massive loss of refrigerant on a hot day is a sign that your auxilliary fan isn't working correctly. Does it come on when the a/c button is depressed?

Comment

There is a small solder plug on the top of the rec/dri. Over time it works it's way out until it just lets go and lets all your freon out with it. You'll see a little hole in the blank plug to the left of the sight glass. Replace the rec/dri, vacuum, make sure vacuum holds, recharge with freon and enjoy! The newer rec/dri don't use that solder plug anymore, happy days!!:D

Comment

Working...
                  X