A few 1991 318is questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few 1991 318is questions???

So picked up my car and overall satisfied. A few things here and there need to be adjusted and fixed.

First question. The door stop on the driver's side is missing. However it looks like a PO let it crack the door partly where it bolts in. It looks like the metal could be folded back out to where it was and perhaps welded together again.

Any suggestions?

Next question is the weatherstripping on the passenger side is all there but it seems to not fit quite right. It pops off in one section when I try to push it down in another. Is there a trick here?

I've read a lot about central locking, but still kinda clueless why the doors don't work.

I can unlock/lock the car from trunk, but cannot lock driver/passenger from inside or outside.

????

Originally posted by elbrack View Post
    So picked up my car and overall satisfied. A few things here and there need to be adjusted and fixed.

First question. The door stop on the driver's side is missing. However it looks like a PO let it crack the door partly where it bolts in. It looks like the metal could be folded back out to where it was and perhaps welded together again.

Any suggestions?

Next question is the weatherstripping on the passenger side is all there but it seems to not fit quite right. It pops off in one section when I try to push it down in another. Is there a trick here?

I've read a lot about central locking, but still kinda clueless why the doors don't work.

I can unlock/lock the car from trunk, but cannot lock driver/passenger from inside or outside.

????
    i have the same locking issue

bump

Comment

Originally posted by DC2NoVA View Post
      i have the same locking issue

bump
      I actually discovered that it was my key for the passenger and trunk. Those both work if I get in the sweet spot. I think my cylinder needs a rebuild for the driver side(according to my mechanic) I ordered a new key from BMW to hopefully solve the issue of having to find a sweet spot every single time.

Comment

More than likely you need to rebuild your driver side cylinder. The kits with instructions to do so are on eBay for $30.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
          More than likely you need to rebuild your driver side cylinder. The kits with instructions to do so are on eBay for $30.
          I need to do this. Is it difficult? Never rebuilt a lock before.
          - Josh
          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
          Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

I haven't done it before but I did read the write up on it. I plan to do it myself and am confident I can handle it. I would say its not going to difficult.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
              I haven't done it before but I did read the write up on it. I plan to do it myself and am confident I can handle it. I would say its not going to difficult.
              Good deal, thanks. It'll be nice to have one easy job on this car.
              - Josh
              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

You can obtain a complete new lock to pop in with a key for ~$50 and save yourself hours of hassle. Ask La Jolla Independent, they are well versed in ordering lock sets.

Comment

Working...
                X