Car won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't start

So i'm working on my buddies 89 325is. His engine and tranny were bad so i swapped in a new motor and tranny. I kept the same harness/computer and everything that was in the car, just swapped the motor. Got everything back together and it won't start. Won't turn over! Dash lights/radio and stuff comes on but thats it. I have power at the 12v distributor box thingy on the passenger side in the bay. I also have power at the starter where the main 12v line comes in from the battery. Tried using a test light on the green wire that goes from the relay to the starter and theres no power there when cranking. The fuel pump also doesn't kick on so that makes me think its a relay or something. If i jumper the fuel pump relay it kicks on so i know its working its just not getting the signal to turn on! Any ideas would be helpful, he's waiting to drive his car again! :)

Also tried swapping a different computer in to no avail!!

engine grounds?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Cleaned them all with a wire brush when i put them on! The bottom one on the drivers side goes to the oil pan, is that the right place?

Comment

Originally posted by wenbeaver89 View Post
        Cleaned them all with a wire brush when i put them on! The bottom one on the drivers side goes to the oil pan, is that the right place?
        not 100% sure on the m20 but check all of them again and tighten them down. It sounds like the starter is not getting a good ground.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Operation of the starter is controlled by the black/yellow wire. The black/green or green wire controls the unloader relays.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            Operation of the starter is controlled by the black/yellow wire. The black/green or green wire controls the unloader relays.
            Ok, so i'm guessing the fuel pump doesn't kick on till the starter goes?! Checked the ground cable that goes from the oil pan to the body and the harness groung cable on the pass. side stut tower and wire brushed/cleaned everything and put it back together and nothing! Also it sounds like the icv is clicking on and maybe the afm. There's the normal buzzing noise that comes from them anyhow!

Comment

So tonight i jumped the bottom wire on the starter to the bigger one that comes from the battery and the car popped right off, so pretty sure i'm not getting the signal to the starter to turn on!

Comment

Did some more tests and here's where i'm at. I put a test lighton the wire that comes from the ignition and when i put the key in the on position nothing happens but as soon as i hit the key like i'm trying to turn it over it lights up so everything seems right there. So i went to the c101 connector where the engine harness connects to the fuse box and traced the pin that goes to the ignition starter wire, and put the test light there and nothing at all when i crank so somewhere between that connector and the ignition something is screwed. Is there a relay/fuse or something that could be blown? I followed the wire as much as i could and it all seems fine!

Comment

Go there and download the PDF for the '89. I say download because the online viewer is a PITA to browse through (at least for me). Worst case scenario, you can always wire in a toggle switch and relay if you can't find the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X