Installing Electric Pusher and Puller Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Electric Pusher and Puller Fans

So I wanted to get a materials list of what I need to order for my M30 Swap, I am looking to put a 16" pusher in the stock Aux location and a 16" Puller of the back of the Radiator. What do I need to get? And how do I get it all wired up?

I am buying the 80/88c Temp switch for the Radiator. Some people recommend putting another 80/88c temp switch in the blanked out plug in the M30 Thermostat and use that for the switch for the puller, but I have it is also inaccurate.

Looking to keep this all automatic based on temperature but will do manual switches if its easier.

#AZE30
    1991 318i
    1989 325i
    1989 335i

You shouldn't need both a pusher and a puller. Probably easiest to do a pusher to avoid clearance issues between the rad and the engine.

Comment

Agreed a 16" pusher rated for over 2000cfm and mounted in a shroud will be plenty. Mount the thermostat in the radiator.
      Last edited by jlevie; 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        Agreed a 16" pusher rated for over 2000cfm and mounted in a shroud will be plenty. Mount the thermostat in the radiator.
        Fixed that for ya.

Comment

Stupid typo...

Comment

A 16" pusher is sufficient for a M30 with A/C with 120 Ambient Temperatures?

#AZE30
            1991 318i
            1989 325i
            1989 335i

Comment

For driving in 120°F conditions, I typically put wheels on a bathtub and fill it with ice. That's right, I am rolling in 50000 cubic inches of small blocks.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
                A 16" pusher is sufficient for a M30 with A/C with 120 Ambient Temperatures?
                No, in that case you need a 16" +2000cfm puller. The stock aux fan is sufficient for the AC needs.

Comment

I have the spal 16 pusher and I have had it on the freeway in stop and go traffic in 100 degree heat and it was fine. The clearance between my m30 and the radiator is about 1" so I had to go pusher. I don't have AC though. Get the curved blade fan, I hear they are much quieter than the straight blade.
                  sigpic
                  TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                  FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    No, in that case you need a 16" +2000cfm puller. The stock aux fan is sufficient for the AC needs.
                    I am switching to a E32 AUX Fan to replace the E30 one. And I will be getting the 324td Mech Fan or opting for the 16" puller and shroud. How should I wire in the puller? Temp switch in the M30 blanked out plug in the Thermostat housing?

#AZE30
                    1991 318i
                    1989 325i
                    1989 335i

Comment

82*C Aux fan switch designed to be mounted on side of radiator
                      Idk if that works on M30 swap though
                      UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 24v 325e (future DD), DD 525i

stripped out e30 rally project - in progress
                      M50NV -> M50TU E34 swap underway

Comment

It is the radiator temperature that matters for controlling the fan. So the thermo switch needs to sense that, not the block temperature.

Comment

You can keep the stock fan with no condenser using these brackets.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Working...
                          X