M20 has been acting strange lately??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 has been acting strange lately??

Lately my engine has been taking a long time to warm up. Ill have to wait for 5-10 minutes in order to drive away without the motor stalling when i take my foot off the gas. It idles really irratically when i take my foot off the gas at a light until ive been driving it for 10-15 minutes. It will run perfect then without a hitch??
    Anyone have any ideas what this may be, i checked my plugs, and they are perfect. Never saw a spark plug in better condition. My air filter is clean, 02 sensor was checked recently. I just dont know what it is? fuel pump not delivering enough fuel initially?
    I was also thinking my idle is a bit low, but i asked this before and they saaid 600-650 is fine. But it always seems like its on the verge to cut out. I wonder if my TMS chip has anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help, its a bitch having to rev my engine at a stop light to keep it running. people in cavaliers think you want to race..

Originally posted by MitchFong
    its a bitch having to rev my engine at a stop light to keep it running. people in cavaliers think you want to race..
    Race em.

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

vaccum hoses?
      Last edited by asubimmer; 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM.
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

icv maybe
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Sounds like you have a crack in a hose somewhere thats causing a vaccum leak until the car warms up. Once everything is warm the rubber expands and solves the problem. Check the hoses first.
          Back to my roots

Comment

good call, ill go do that. thanks.

Comment

turns out my haynes manual sucks and says nothing about vacuum leaks. Well it mentions it, but doesnt show you which hoses are which. I know of 2, wondering how many there are? One hose has cracks going up and down it, but they dont go through. Just very small slits on the outside. Any suggestions?

Comment

-One for the FPR, one for the PCV, one for the PowBrakes, lines around the ICV, uhhh... anything else?
                1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

intake boot
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM
                    -One for the FPR, one for the PCV, one for the PowBrakes, lines around the ICV, uhhh... anything else?
                    gas cap could be a vac leak too.
                    Jay

Comment

jesus, i didnt realize how many there are.

Comment

Don't forget dipstick...
                        This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Originally posted by fretburnr
                          gas cap could be a vac leak too.
                          Gas tank on the E30 isn't a sealed system like new cars so gas cap doesn't really effect things.

Comment

Here is the problem in a nut shell.
                            I start the car up, and it idles perfect. I put it in first and start rolling forward, but as soon as i let my foot off the gas the rpms jump down to about 200, then up to 650-700 and the fluctuates. If it doesnt stall, it will bounce the idle around a few times and then be perfectly steady on 650-700.

I just dont know what it could be, i looked at the hoses the other day and they seemed fine, but i didnt get a chance to look at them all.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchFong
                              Here is the problem in a nut shell.
                              I start the car up, and it idles perfect. I put it in first and start rolling forward, but as soon as i let my foot off the gas the rpms jump down to about 200, then up to 650-700 and the fluctuates. If it doesnt stall, it will bounce the idle around a few times and then be perfectly steady on 650-700.

I just dont know what it could be, i looked at the hoses the other day and they seemed fine, but i didnt get a chance to look at them all.
                              Check to see if the AFM flap is binding. Give it a good shot of carb cleaner in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X