How do YOU warm up your M20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando
    I used to just start up, let idle for a few seconds and drive away. but when I did the cam swap, it didn't really like that, especially on cold winter mornings. I usually idle until the RPMS drop below 1k, or until the temp gauge moves into the blue, and then I don't take it above 3k until it's fully warm.
    I used a similar method on the ETA.

When the needle is below blue, keep it below 2k.
    When the needle is in the blue, keep it below 3k.
    After that, rev'd the sh*t out of it.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

well... I usually let it idle for about five minutes, then i just take it easy, keeping right around 3k, then when i feel the engine is in it's operating temp, I drive how i like (6k 1st to 2nd upshifts at WOT, I love to hit second gear screaches) until i get pulled over. Then i allow it to cool down before the officer approaches my vehicle.

"Having won more road races than any other model in history, the E30 M3 is considered by many to be the world's most successful road race car." - Simply put, E30s kick ass.

Comment

i just fire it up and go, stay under 3k until i get to 1/4 (thats the highest the temp ever gets in my car) then ill give it hell if i feel the need
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I start mine up, after a minute or two I back out of my driveway making sure not to run over an stupid california homless people. Then I depress the brake and clutch, put it in 1st and nail it. I usually leave about a 10 foot trail of black stuff all while flicking the guy across the street off. I do this b/c that sob keeps me up til about 3am EVERY night working on his stupid 1970's ford hunk o crap that sounds like two harleys having sex. That is my fantasy, I pretty much baby the thing until I am sure every fluid is ready to be moved around the engine at high rpms. then I drive like a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles for the rest of the day!
          Yours truly,
          Rich
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Rigmaster
          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281
            I start mine up, after a minute or two I back out of my driveway making sure not to run over an stupid california homless people. Then I depress the brake and clutch, put it in 1st and nail it. I usually leave about a 10 foot trail of black stuff all while flicking the guy across the street off. I do this b/c that sob keeps me up til about 3am EVERY night working on his stupid 1970's ford hunk o crap that sounds like two harleys having sex. That is my fantasy, I pretty much baby the thing until I am sure every fluid is ready to be moved around the engine at high rpms. then I drive like a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles for the rest of the day!
            :rofl:

Comment

Sounds like the consciences is to let it warm up before you hit it hard.

Back when I had the m10 and a constant oil pressure light I started it up, reved it, then went to the rev limiter every shift... now let me reiterate it was an m10 so this was somewhat necessary to get into the mild traffic of my area!

Comment

Start it up with the throttle at WOT, and hold it there for a few min to warm it up.

ohhhh wait that was just my ETA motor the day I removed it from the car :D

On a serious note, I just start it up, and start driving it, I keep it under 3000 until i'm out of the blue on the temp, and I keep it under 4000 until the oil gauge has moved up.

Comment

Fire it up, drive slowly (low rpms), less than 1/2 throttle. Full throttle at 3k rpms is a lot worse than full throttle at 5k when cold. Then proceed to drive the shit out of it. I don't car if this motor goes, infact I'm sort of hoping for it, in a sick way, since I definately won't do a M/S50 swap till this M20 is cooked.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

i do what the manual says..i'll start it up and drive off slowly until it warms up fully.

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30
                      if the engine is cold, then the idle supposed to be somewhere in 1.5k right? then it drops to normal idle once it's warm (700-850 auto) right? mine doesn't go that high, it just idles at 600 when cold, then once warm idles at 800 STEADY! (knock on wood) is that normal, or my ICV is bad?
                      Mine idles a bit lower when cold than when fully warm. But I've never heard of them staying at 1500rpm when cold.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                        consciences
                        consensus

Comment

Working...
                        X