Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use an E34 radiator/tran on an E30 M50 conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you use an E34 radiator/tran on an E30 M50 conversion?

I've come across a E34 525i at a local yard.
    Can you use a E34 radiator on an E30 M50 conversion or do you have to stick with an 88+ E30 or E36 radiator?

Can you use a E34 manual transmission on the E30? What other transmission related parts could you pull over to an E30. My car is an automatic so I know I'll need a E30 driveshaft and pedal assembly. Any other stuff I would want to get? Would I just follow the general E30 automatic to manual swap info on the net except use the M50 manual out of the E34 instead of a E30 Getrag 260?
    Eric
    85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion...

It's possible to use the transmission, but as far as drive shaft is concerned You need the proper length, so You need an E30 standard one.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

As for gearboxes, you can use a Getrag 260 or the 5-speed from an E36 3-series (uncertain of make and model #). If you use the Getrag 260 tranny your entire drivetrain will be sitting at something like a 10 degree angle due to the mounts required when going with this set up. Going with the latter (E36 box) will avoid this whole situation since the mounts used align it more accurately. Either option should work fine.

The radiator choices you have (that I know of) are either the E30 325i/is or the the E36 variant. The E30 part is (probably) more affordable. I've never heard of someone using an E34 radiator for this swap.

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

The getrag 260 is stronger but is not as smooth as the later boxes built by getrag for the E34 and the E36 chassis.

If you use the E30 gear box you need to fab new tranny mounts and shift linkage needs to be altered. I'd say use the search button but I forgot that most of the info on this was back on E3S site.

We need to cross link some of the old data. Please why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3
          We need to cross link some of the old data. Please why waste it.
          AFAIK: The software isnt compatable, and unless somebody wants to undertake the task of retyping it into "tech articles" I highly doubt it will happen.

Then you get into the whole ownership issue. :roll:
          :(
          Below the radar...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll use the 5 speed manual transmission out of the E34. The only reason I asked about the radiator is because it is there and could probably get it thrown into the deal. I'll ask if they have a later E30 or E36 radiator. Will I need to use a E30 or E36 brake reservoir for the clutch? (possible to use the E34?)
            Eric

Comment

remember that you have to buy e36 motor mount arms for the swap to work. I'd also recommend e36 PS parts (mounts on motor mount, cleaner looking)

Comment

Thats a good point. I'll add that to my parts list.
                Eric

Comment

if you do your swap before I do mine, let me know if the wiring harness is the same as the e36, that would make the wiring a bit more simple as there are e30->e36 conversion charts on the net. If not, it shouldn't be difficult to look them up

Comment

The Engine mounts don't use E36 ones. It's a mix of mounts. You can use the existing PS pump with an E36 and a E30 hose. You need to change the Brake booster also.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3
                      The Engine mounts don't use E36 ones. It's a mix of mounts. You can use the existing PS pump with an E36 and a E30 hose. You need to change the Brake booster also.
                      i meant the metal parts if you're pulling an m50 from an e34 you need the e36 ones. you can mix e28/e34 mounts or just use e28 ones from a late 535i (what i'm doing)
                      You can use the e34 PS stuff if you'd like also, though the resirvoir will be where the stock e30 one is
                      Brake booster comes from a 320i or a 2002 and it has to be modified

Comment

Working...
                      X