Car sputters when I floor the gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car sputters when I floor the gas

Hello fellow r3vers, I have a 1976 2002 with a m20 swap from a 91 e30, the car has been running fine for the past year, until about 2 weeks ago my rpms idled at 3k on neutral, switched the maf and the rpms went back to normal.
    But now the car slightly back fires and it sputters when I step on the gas to the floor, I checked for vac leaks and found nothing, not sure what else should I look at? Many thanks in advance.

I have the same problem. Only when cold though. As soon as it warms up its fine.

Comment

I'm going through some similar stuff right now. You said MAF but I assume you mean AFM, what did you put in there, was it used out of a junk yard or other car?
      sigpic
      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

It was used, from a working car.

Comment

Check your plugs/wires for cracks. Was it on a humid day?

Mine used to do that, but it ended up being moisture in my distributor cap. I wd-40'd it and tightened it down good. Never had a problem again

Comment

I will try that, thank you, I will update in the results.

Comment

So I replaced all the plugs, checked cables for crack, and still have some backfire, I unplugged the maff, and the csr ran without any back fire, does this mean that it could be the maff?

Comment

Check/replace front O2 sensors. Fuel filter? Make sure air box is fully connected.

Comment

Originally posted by theKrampus View Post
                  Mine used to do that, but it ended up being moisture in my distributor cap. I wd-40'd it and tightened it down good. Never had a problem again
                  Interesting. I'll have to check that on mine.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I have aftermarket air filter and checked to make sure the clamps are tighten enough, so should I rule out the maf then?

Comment

exhaust leak? have you checked the manifold/headers for leaks/smell?
                      '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                      '87 e30 325iS - sold
                      '91 e30 325i - sold
                      '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                      '09 e91 328i - sold
                      '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
                      '08 impreza - new rally car
                      '01 996 tt - more fun car
                      '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Way too many possibilities for what could be wrong. And what exactly was your process for checking for vacuum leaks?

Comment

There is smell,what I noticed is exhaust fumes in the cab.

Comment

Vac leaks, we used a smoke test.

Comment

Fumes in the cab could mean a shot cat... Or a leak at the headers possibly. Could be dumping too much fuel, and that's why also. Check to see if an injector is stuck open? Then you'd be flooding one cylinder. Would cause issues for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X