Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m10 cooling fan problem need your tech knowledge here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m10 cooling fan problem need your tech knowledge here...

as i was driving today with my 84 318i. i heard a big thump under the hood. i found out one of the fan blade broke off and hit the inside part of the hood. it looks like my oem fan has like 6-7 blades on there. one is now missing and i noticed a little vibration now when i press the gas when i am driving it at low speeds. it kinda goes away the faster i go.

now i guess the question is - will it mess anything up? the temp seems to stay normal. i am concern about the little vibration i am feeling. i guess its not even when its spinning anymore.

here are the pics i took with my cell phone. hope its good enough for everyone to see.

any feedback would be much appreciated thanks.
    Last edited by mge_1; 04-23-2006, 03:09 PM.
    Marc Enriquez
    www.revtechracing.com

Since it's missing one of the blades, the balance and the weight of it are going to be way off, and it's really not going to spin properly.

That's probably the vibration you're getting. I would strongly reccomend replacing it, it's not hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed
      Since it's missing one of the blades, the balance and the weight of it are going to be way off, and it's really not going to spin properly. I would reccomend replacing it.
      hmmm... ya thats what i thought. i'll call the dealership tomorrow and see if they have the whole fan. or should i just replace the one broken one.

you think its ok to drive it for a few days or something will blow up? what do you think?
      Marc Enriquez
      www.revtechracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mge_1
        hmmm... ya thats what i thought. i'll call the dealership tomorrow and see if they have the whole fan. or should i just replace the one broken one.

you think its ok to drive it for a few days or something will blow up? what do you think?
        Replace the whole fan.

Yes, you're ok to drive with it like it is, just get it fixed soon.

Comment

Replace the whole fan.

Yes, you're ok to drive with it like it is, just get it fixed soon.
          thanks for the confirmation buddy. i will go to the dealership tomorrow and buy the whole fan. i tried advance auto and they dont have it. thanks!
          Marc Enriquez
          www.revtechracing.com

Comment

If those are mounted on the waterpump and its been like this for a couple days, I would say you will need a water pump sometime soon.

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
              If those are mounted on the waterpump and its been like this for a couple days, I would say you will need a water pump sometime soon.

Will
              it just happened today. thanks for the info. but ya i'll get a new water pump too.
              Marc Enriquez
              www.revtechracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist

Will
                Oh yeah, good call, Will. No doubt the fucked-up rotation of the fan is taking it's toll on the pump.

Comment

Oh yeah, good call, Will. No doubt the fucked-up rotation of the fan is taking it's toll on the pump.
                  Exactly. All that vibration on the pump could cause it to get a lot of play in it and leak/not work as well. Mostly just a preventative maitenence thing. It might not have hurt the pump at all. Who knows.

Will
                  RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                  Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                  DaveCN = Old Man
                  My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                  If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Where the F did you get that fan? Definitely not oem.
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                      Where the F did you get that fan? Definitely not oem.
                      bought the car 3 months ago and thats what it had. no clue buddy.
                      Marc Enriquez
                      www.revtechracing.com

Comment

Looks like a really old/shitty Flex-a-lite fan that was very badly mounted to what looks like a bolt and a nut.

You will need a new fan clutch also with the new fan. Not positive, but I would assume they are two different part numbers. Might be a good time to switch to an electric fan.

Also, unless it is god-awful hot where you live right now, I would take the fan off until you get a new one. The engine should over heat unless it is really hot. Jordan ran without a fan for over a year with no problems. Just make sure you watch the temp gauge incase it does start to overheat.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
                          Looks like a really old/shitty Flex-a-lite fan that was very badly mounted to what looks like a bolt and a nut.

You will need a new fan clutch also with the new fan. Not positive, but I would assume they are two different part numbers. Might be a good time to switch to an electric fan.

Also, unless it is god-awful hot where you live right now, I would take the fan off until you get a new one. The engine should over heat unless it is really hot. Jordan ran without a fan for over a year with no problems. Just make sure you watch the temp gauge incase it does start to overheat.
                          well not too hot here in NJ right now. i normally use my 318i during night hours when i am heading to work and early morning when i am heading home. sometimes though i get some minor traffic on the way home in the morning. so you know someone ran the car without the fan?right now my main concern is the way this fan was installed. yes bolted in there with no clutch or whatever part is missing. well the bolt looks like its rusted shut in there.what i am going to do is get a replacement fan similar to this one and have a shop replace it. they should have all the proper tools to do the job i hope.
                          Marc Enriquez
                          www.revtechracing.com

Comment

Working...
                          X