Car died while driving now no spark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krazykraut View Post
    Ive had this problem while on the track. Check your fuse in the trunk going to positive terminal. I have had my ignition coil read that I am getting power before, but would not create spark. Check that this fuse is wrapped in black heat shrink tubing has not welded itself to the car or just flat out blown. It is located about 18" up the positive battery cable. You may have to cut the shrink tubing and test is with an ohm meter both sides of the flat fuse.

I have been able to verify that I am getting power to the main computer so I don't think it is blown. But thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoobeesnak View Post
      Thanks for the replies. I am sure I am testing pins 47 and 48 since I had a really good diagram and I can see that there isn't any metal pins on either side of them so even if I was 1 off I could see that it wasn't connected to anything.

Here is what I have found.

Double checked the ohms on the old CPS and got 516 again. Checked pins 47 & 48 and was able to see the same 516 ohms to the CPS. Once the CPS is mounted though I get 0 resistance which from what I read in the Bentley manual should be normal.

Interesting thing I noticed is that when I held the CPS away from anything metal while probing pins 47 & 48 I could see that the the ohm load would range wildly from 516 down to 25 or so. I put the multimeter on the setting that will beep when the circuit is completed while moving the CPS around and it would predictably beep then not beep while moving the wire around. This makes me sure that my old CPS has a short in it.

The new replacement CPS shows infinite resistance on pins 1 & 2 or pins 2 & 3 on the connector. So no change there. One thing I did notice on the new CPS is that the pins were numbered above each one so they are labeled 1 2 and 3 left to right with the cable coming out of it nearest to pin 3.

This points me back to getting a new CPS. Unfortunately the old one was ordered online so I can't easily swap it out but I can to see if one of the local places has one if you think that is what it is.

Thanks again for your help.
      sounds like you've confirmed the wires are good if you can get the exact same resistance reading at the ECU as at the sensor , but the sensor dropping to 0 when installed or even moving the sensor around sure sounds like its got broken/shorted wires(even a good one should not drop to 0 ohms when installed if this were true then you would have to remove it to test it and as you can see from factory manual they dont say remove to test) its just an inductive winding and the resistance should not change unless a current is running thru it at which point an ohms test is invalid(you cannot ohm test an active circuit). and if you cant get anything out of new sensor its bad (crap luck there). looks like its time to find a good sensor (you know anybody local with a running car you can borrow a sensor from to test ?)
      Angus
      88 E30M3 X2
      89 325IX
      92 R100GS/PD
      :)

Comment

Just to provide an update. I called BMAparts which sold me the original replacement CPS which was made by VEMO. They guy said that the Chinese made ones have a lot of problems so long story short I am paying the difference to get an OEM one. It should be to me by Friday or Saturday so with any luck I should be up and running soon. Thank you for your help Angus / SPDRACRM3.

Comment

It is ALIVE!!!!!! Bad CPS. Lessons learned.

Follow the Bentley's troubleshooting steps, don't skip any. This would have saved me time and a lot of $$

Don't trust aftermarket CPS. Get a factory unit.

Angus / SPDRACRM3 is great for helping me through each step.

Comment

Working...
          X