• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwdrift
    Pros: '91
    Cons: '84-85
    +1000

Comment

If you're going to do a 24v swap and want a project, go with the early 318. Mtech I + S50 would be a great combo. But short of a mtechI kit, early cars look like ass (IMHO).

If you're not going to swap the engine and want a autox car to abuse, go with the 318is. As long as you keep up on the minimal engine maintenance, the m42 can be driven pretty hard.

early 318 = intensive project that could be a twisted track rat
      late 318is = fun car that teaches proper technique (looks good out of the box too)
      San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

91 318is hands down. The m42 is a great motor and would rock on an auto-x course. Weight distribution on the m42 318is is also damn close to 50/50 - which is a difference you can really feel over a 325is. The car just feels amazing when pushed to the limit. I dont think the 91's weigh 300 lbs more, probably more along the lines of 150. Bill 84 318i weighed his m10 a while back and it was like 2400, cant see a 318is being much more than that. You can really feel the weight difference between a 318is and a 325is. Havent personally driven an m10. Also with a chip the m42 can really scream, without one your not getting the full experience. 3rd gear with my chipped m42 screams.

Just make sure you get a 318is WITH and lsd, unbeknownst to some it was only an option on the 318is, although I think the majority came with an lsd.
        Back to my roots

Comment

91 all the way, fewer rust issues, more suspension options, better motor, better brakes, better looking. Its a terror on the autocross course with good tires, ok brakes, decent suspension, and a willing driver.

FWIW- of the 6 m42 that have come through my hands, 2 had OEM lsds.
          BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerToad
            If you're going to do a 24v swap and want a project, go with the early 318. Mtech I + S50 would be a great combo. But short of a mtechI kit, early cars look like ass (IMHO).
            I dunno about that, I like my 318i.

That being said, I've been contemplating a 16v swap for it.
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Plastic bumpers
              LSD
              Brake drama
              Motor

Maybe the costs of making an early cool is saved by a 91.

M42 may make a better DSP car... but I'd just be so tempted to throw a M20 drivetrain in and play in SM. plus, I'd miss the torque daily.

Let's see how this M42 locally plays out. There are issues with my car, and I just want a fun car until I'm out of school.
              Last edited by rwh11385; 05-10-2006, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                M42 may make a better DSP car... but I'd just be so tempted to throw a M20 drivetrain in and play in SM. plus, I'd miss the torque daily.
                Rather than swap an m20b25 to go end up in SM and get RAPED why not get a 325i/S to start off and stay in DSP?

If you want to go to SM with an e30 you would need $$$ depending on your competitive aspirations and local competition and you're better off with an s50 than an m20 ;)

Comment

I should already be in SM... :roll:

A lighter chassis with the engine I enjoy would be a better daily than mine with its issues... that I might just fix, but who knows. Forget competition, I'd be torn up just the same as I am now. Just PAX would be different.

I'm also likely to hop to SM or down to STX if my roommate goes into STS with his Mini since the stocks/street prepared run together, and the SM/street tourings are grouped. I'm more concerned about working with him than being competitive or PAX. Seattime is seattime, regardless of position or magnets.
                  Last edited by rwh11385; 05-10-2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

M42 cars for sure, but this is coming from a kid who will not own a M20. Consider the less work too... self adjusting valves, no rotor/cap, etc... until the profile gasket goes.

Anyways, my car is a M42 with LSD and no sunroof.
                    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
                      M42 cars for sure, but this is coming from a kid who will not own a M20. Consider the less work too... self adjusting valves, no rotor/cap, etc... until the profile gasket goes.

Anyways, my car is a M42 with LSD and no sunroof.
                      I'm stealing your car.

Auto-X/Road Racing - G Stock BMW - I used to have an E30 325es. Haven't noticed anyone running one in GS but it seems like it would be a good car for the class. Just curious what anyone (Jesse) thinks. Can you tell I don't have much going on today.

I'm definitely highly considering repairing this local, low-mileage and decent 318is (even with a sunroof) and GS'ing it next year. Then ulimately throwing my shit in/on it instead of my M20.
                      Last edited by rwh11385; 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Whats wrong with your car?
                        Back to my roots

Comment

mainly gas tank, but i really don't like the rear subframe bushings, and some other things. I'm not feeling getting back into the ordeal i lived winter 04

Comment

M10 from a 2002 forged crank. FI it and have fun, cheap and budget. Pretty much bullet proof.

Comment

Bobby, gas tank swap honestly isnt that hard. Rick can change those in 2 hours. It pays 4 hrs, and a brand new tank costs around $450-$500. So total cost to swap tanks would be around $800.

Will
                              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                              DaveCN = Old Man
                              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Reggie said he'd give me the one he has for free. So it'd be $320 plus various expenses.

After figuring the spark plugs need replaced and deciding to buy the Plasma Booster, I think my car will be fine after the fuel tank is fixed... and diff swapped. I should be getting near the mileage of an M42, but with torque to live by daily.

I still want to help Doug with putting the 318is together and play with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X