'87 325 antenna not moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 325 antenna not moving

So I just bought my '87 2 weeks ago, was told nothing is wrong and boy is that a lie.

Right now I am trying to fix my antenna, it doesnt move even when I tried to pull it out.

Any tips or threads to help me fix this problem? (Yes I am a straight noob, this is my first BMW)

Mine is the same. I pulled back the mouse fur in the trunk to look at it and realized it wasn't even plugged in. So I plugged it in and still no movement or any change. After a few min of fiddling, I felt the antenna and it was hotter than hell. So I unplugged it and haven't cared enough to look into fixing it.

Basically what I'm saying is check it to make sure it isn't super hot from the seized antenna and the electric motor still trying to move it. You wouldn't want to start your presumably new car on fire.

I've seen some ppl swap in a z3 antenna if you really need the radio, and I would do some searching in the audio section. You're not to be the first to encounter this problem.
    1987 325 w/ M52b28 - Bronzit
    2007 X3 - Platinum Bronze

Comment

its pretty common for them to die, your cars almost 30 years old..
      you can replace it with an aftermarket unit or find another oem working one and swap that in

btw, its a power antenea, you cant pull it out by hand..
      IG: haggardfab

Comment

Originally posted by haggardfab View Post
        its pretty common for them to die, your cars almost 30 years old..
        you can replace it with an aftermarket unit or find another oem working one and swap that in

btw, its a power antenea, you cant pull it out by hand..
        already tried, wouldnt budge.

Comment

I would suggest checking out the Z3 antenna swap. Its very simple and might be cheaper than getting that antenna on eBay. Also I think it looks better.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by nickle94 View Post
            already tried, wouldnt budge.
            Thats what he is saying though, it can not be torn out by hand because of how it is made. Look into the z3 option, for most its a lot cheaper and easier to do that. GL

Comment

Take it out and fiddle with it. I have a spare one which seems to be having an issue with the circuit board. The motor purrs. The power just is not making it through from the connector to the PCB and into the motor.

It is a pretty simple gadget. I'm trying to make mine work to preserve originality.

As stated before.... For less money than a newer motorized antenna you can get the Z3 antenna. It is a much simpler piece and should give long service. Looks nice too.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

The antenna on my '87 was seized halfway up the shaft. I took the shaft out of the motor and tried extending and condensing it but it had rusted on the inside and was seized. I got pissed and threw in a classic non-retractable mast antenna from Advance auto. $12 beats a $50 craigslist used one that may only work for one season, especially when I'd just put in an ipod stereo.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                X