Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this is a weird one... Horn only works if wheel is straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is a weird one... Horn only works if wheel is straight?

Scratching my head with this. I've got an Italovolanti Formel mated to a cheapo Boss hub from ebay.

The wheel bolted up fine, works great, blah blah blah. I tried using the horn on the road the other day and nothing. I figured I screwed up the install so i went out today to try and mess with it. Before I took the steering wheel off I gave it another shot with the car parked, and much to my surprise, the horn is blowing loud as ever.

However, if I turn the wheel even slightly and try it, no horn. Any ideas? I'm not sure where I could've gone wrong really, there's only the one wire with the hub and I have it connected to the horn button on the steering wheel.

The horn contact ring is probably either broken or loose, so not making good contact. It should be apparent if you pop the wheel back off.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'll pop the wheel back off and check that. Just to be sure, horn contact ring refers to the metal disc here, correct, and not the piece riveted to the column?

Comment

My horn also has bad contact...randomly works....and most of the time it doesn't work haha...I have a nardi hub and nardi wheel with the nardi horn botton.
        sigpic
        Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
        1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Yes, that's it. You have to make sure both that it's complete and that it's making good contact when you press the hub onto the column. Maybe use some dry erase marker, color the ring, install and turn the wheel, and see how much rubs off?
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
          X