Gauge Cluster Woes, Temp, Tach, Gas Gauge All Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Cluster Woes, Temp, Tach, Gas Gauge All Out

This happened a month or 2 ago, but all three gauges besides my speedo are not working, they actually work for a second when I crank the car over but after that they are dead. I heard it could be a rechargeable batter behind the cluster just want to make sure that's it and not something else. Just odd that they work when I crank it and that's it?

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

On the back of the dash are tons of screws and then 2 nuts, they ground the gas and temp gauges, I tightened my tamp gauge nut and it worked again. You have probably done this too but it might not be the gauges, it could be the temp sensor wires aren't getting voltage or the speedo etc. These articles have much more info than me!

Good luck!
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Comment

With all cluster problems start with replacing fuse 10, 12, and 21 with new 7.5A fuses. Don't waste your time checking the fuses, just replace them. You'll find your gauge will work more reliably.

The rechargeable batteries you refer to are the SI board batteries. That board only controls the temp, tach, MPG and OBC. So any of those problems (after replacing fuses) can be attributed to dead SI board batteries.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
      X